vgereis Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 11:22am
post #1 of

Hi all!

Quick question about the recipe above... I'm about to make it... and the recipe calls for duncan hines cake mix... which is normally 18.25oz... unfortunately I've run out of DH, and only have betty crocker ones which are 17.64oz. How much do you think I should alter the rest of the ingredients? (for example, it asks for 4 egg whites, 1/2 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, 1 small package vanilla pudding mix (usually around 111g I believe?) and a cup of sour cream. I'm making a double batch... so in total, it would be about 1.2oz less of the cake mix... Do you think it'd be better to reduce the other ingredients? and if so, how much?

Thanks a million!

Best,

Vicky

2 replies
newbaker55 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 12:59am
post #2 of

If you have an extra box of mix, maybe make up the difference from it to add to your DH recipe.

Save the rest for adding to the new smaller sized packages icon_mad.gif until someone figures out how to adjust age-old enhanced box mix recipes to accomodate the change. 

remnant3333 Posted 22 Nov 2012 , 1:08am
post #3 of

Many people make the below and add to their cake mix. Maybe others will have better suggestions as of what to do. Good luck/Mary

Cake Mix extender number 1

Ingredients

• Prepare cake mix as per package directions. In addition to this add,
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 250 ml (or 8 oz.) sour cream or yogurt (I prefer to use low fat yogurt)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla or other suited flavoring

Instructions

Bake as per pkg. directions

Fat content will vary depending on whether or not you use full fat sour cream or yogurt. I’ve used them all including low fat sour cream, yogurt etc…. and the results are great each and every time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%