Piecing Fondant Together

Decorating By James M Updated 21 Nov 2012 , 3:10am by BlakesCakes

James M Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
James M Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 2:41am
post #1 of 3

AI have two pieces of the same color fondant that are going to meet at one place. Is their a way to put them together so the seem will not show?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:27am
post #2 of 3

I'm hoping someone more knowledgable will pop in here but from my experience and what I've read on this board once the fondant is in place you rub well w/a finger or is it w/a fresh piece of fondant? - not sure now :(

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 3:10am
post #3 of 3

I think you can get it very close, but unless it's white, it will still be somewhat visible (at least to you).

If you take some of the colored fondant and mix in just enough water to make it piping con to consistency, you can pipe it into the seam.  Even it out, let it dry (it'll sink into the seam a bit), and then do it until it's flush, carefully scraping it off of the surface of the sides each time you apply.

Another option is to tint royal just a tad darker and pipe that into the seam.  It dries lighter, so that's why it needs to be a bit darker to start.  Again, carefully add and scrape until it's level.  The issue with this method is that if the cake shifts or settles, the royal can crack.

HTH

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%