Help!!!! :(

Decorating By Nunu112 Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 6:54pm by KoryAK

Nunu112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nunu112 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 12:05am
post #1 of 3

AHey,

So I'm trying to make a cake for my friends birthday. I'm no professional just bake in my spare time at home but want this to be as perfect as possible. So making a normal chocolate cake with fresh whipped cream filling and then covering it with fondant. Just wanted to know if there is anything I need to do before covering the cake with fondant like do I cover it with something else first cause I was just covering it with cream this while time. Also wanted to know how to get my fondant to harden a bit as I tried putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge and it came out sticky and shiny. :D

2 replies
jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 3:13am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunu112 

Hey,
So I'm trying to make a cake for my friends birthday. I'm no professional just bake in my spare time at home but want this to be as perfect as possible. So making a normal chocolate cake with fresh whipped cream filling and then covering it with fondant. Just wanted to know if there is anything I need to do before covering the cake with fondant like do I cover it with something else first cause I was just covering it with cream this while time. Also wanted to know how to get my fondant to harden a bit as I tried putting a fondant covered cake in the fridge and it came out sticky and shiny. icon_biggrin.gif

I am no professional either but this is how I do it.

I have made a cake using fresh whipped  (stabilized with agar agar powder) and fresh strawberries but have done butter cream and not fondant on that. HERE I try to keep my filling non-perishable when it comes to fondant cakes but a lot of decorators (experts and pros) do.

For fondant cakes, I have always used butter cream or ganache. I crumbcoat the cake with buttercream or ganache and let it crust/set and then cover with fondant. I don't put my fondant covered cakes in the refrigerator as it gets sticky but I know a lot of people here do. From what I have read, if you refrigerate the fondant covered cake, you need to let it sit out and turn the fan on to let the precipitation dry off.

Just my two cents.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 3

If you put fondant and whipped cream touching, the fondant will melt.  You can fill the cake with whipped cream, but you will need at least a crumb coat of regular buttercream or ganache as a barrier.

The general stickiness of fondant coming out of the fridge will have a lot to do with the humidity in your area.  If it a problem for you, fridge your cake in a box wrapped in plastic and then leave it like that after pulling it out for a while to keep the condensation off of your cake while the temperature changes.  You may still get some stickiness, but as long as you don't touch it, it will dry up just fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%