SkisandBakes Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 10:23pm
post #1 of

Hi there.

I am hoping that some of you who know a bit more about baking science than I do can give me some feedback.

I currently make some chile - chocolate brownies. The recipe calls for the addition of 1 tsp cinnamon and 1tsp ancho chili powder to a recipe that makes an 8x8 pan. I would like to make a cake with the same zip as the brownies. I have seen the doctored mix recipe on Cake Central that suggests adding 2 1/2tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp chile powder and 1/2 tsp cayenne powder to the mix dry ingredients; however, I prefer to bake from scratch. Assuming I make enough batter to give me the same amount as a box mix (2  - 8" rounds I think) could I just add the same amount of cinnamon and chile powder to the dry ingredients for my stand-by chocolate cake?

Thanks for your help.

7 replies
BakingIrene Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 1:44am
post #2 of

Yes you can increase the amounts of spice that you add to cake batter. No adjustment necessary.

But bake a single layer as a test if you are using sour cream or yogurt or buttermilk or lemon/vinegar in the batter.  These acid ingredients sometimes change the taste of hot pepper spices.

Momy2Boys Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:43am
post #3 of

AI have a recipe that I love. It's for cupcakes but I'm sure it could be used for a cake. Although I've never tried it.

Cin-Chili Chocolate

3 cups AP flour 2 cups sugar 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I use Hershey) 2 tsp baking soda 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp chili powder 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper 1/2 cup vegetable oil 2 cups water 2tsp vanilla extract 2 tbsp apple or white vinegar

Bake at 350 F 15-20 min for cupcakes.

This pairs really well with a cinnamon buttercream.

I hope this gives you an idea of what to do for you recipe or at least gives you a new one to try. :-D

SkisandBakes Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 9:33pm
post #4 of

Thank you to both of you. I love the idea of a cinnamon buttercream. I think I will have to bake an experimental cake this evening.

remnant3333 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 11:18pm
post #5 of

Please let us know how this tastes after you bake this tonight. I am going to copy this recipe and put it in my documents to try at a later date. Thanks for the recipe!! It is greatly appreciated!! Mary

leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 11:53pm
post #6 of

Chocolate chili cupcakes are always popular.  I use regular chili powder, and also top with cinnamon buttercream.

SkisandBakes Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 10:55pm
post #7 of

Thank you for the recipe. I did my trial and it is perfect - just the right hint of chile spice to complement the chocolate. The suggestion of a cinnamon buttercream was spot on. This is going to be a great addition to our American Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow - not terribly traditional I know but I over did the pumpkin with Canadian Thanksgiving this year.

Momy2Boys Posted 21 Nov 2012 , 11:19pm
post #8 of

AI'm glad it worked out well for you! I'm not a chocolate lover myself, but I really like this cake a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%