This World Is Becoming More Dishonest Each Day :(

Lounge By usmdesigner Updated 27 Apr 2014 , 8:02pm by MBalaska

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 62

My daughter's birthday is coming up at the end of the month. Each year I have baked her a birthday cake. I am really loving the fun of doing this and I feel I've gotten a lot better! This year was suppose to be a 2 tier tinkerbell cake. The one thing I haven't been able to do on my own is make fondant. I also struggle with rolling out the fondant for the cakes.(and for the record, I make all of 1 cake a year almost, usually just hers... I never sell anything I make)

This year I decided I would buy some fondant and also purchase "The Mat". So I went to the site that sells it and looked it up. Watched the video's and decided this will be great. I waited until the first of the month to buy both. Well come to find out the home version was sold out and they don't restock until the end of the month. UGHHH. So I decided to get the pro version. So I bought both the fondant and the mat.

Well around the 11th or so of the month I randomly checked to see where this thing is. Lo and behold it has already been delivered and signed for. So I look more closely and see that it has been delivered to the wrong address. After inspecting my receipt closer, I find out that I had not filled my PO Box out correctly by 1 number.

I frantically called the Post Office to find out that they in fact did deliver it already. When I told them the story, they said there is nothing they can do about it, but they will put a letter in the person's box asking them to talk with them.

Now I just found out that they did give the person her mail (on the 7th), but that the lady did not indicate she would be bringing the items back. (they can't tell me the conversation)

After discussing it with my wife, we don't feel paying another 70$ is going to be a good idea due to other money constraints around the house and christmas coming up. So now we have decided to just get a sheet cake from somewhere for her. 

And yes, I know it was my fault in the end for not catching the address. And I didn't contact the company, because it was pretty much all my fault, so I don't see how they are going to care at all.

I just can't understand for the life of me how someone would get a box marked with my name but their address, see what is inside, and think "yep, I'm keeping this".  The town I live in is EXTREMELY small. The chances someone I know actually KNOWS these people is VERY possible. But the Post Office can't give me one shred of information. What has the world come to when you keep "the mat" and 5 lbs of fondant for yourself instead of giving it back to who it belongs to?

I was going to write up a note and stick it on their po box telling them how I need that for my daughters birthday in 2 weeks, but my wife doesn't know if I can do that or not.  I just wonder does this person after hearing the story not care, or just is a hateful person. I'm about 99% sure there is no way she does cakes and would have no use for these two items. Even if she would be thinking about selling them, why would she do that, knowing that I'm just wanting these items for my little girls birthday? 

Each day our population is getting more and more corrupt and their isn't a single thing we can do about it. It really just saddens me to death.

61 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 62

That's really sad to hear.  You probably aren't allowed to stick anything in/on their box but you certainly could mail them a letter :)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 62

ACall the company and tell them what happened, they may surprise you and help resolve the situation (for example, by sending a bill to the PO box).

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 62

I agree with KoryAK.  I would either post or send her a letter telling her how very disappointed you are that she decided to be dishonest and not return the items.

I would also tell her that because of her lack of care your daughter will not get the birthday cake she had hoped for because you don't have the supplies now.

I for one wouldn't have kept the items.  I feel that is morally wrong and I would feel really aweful for doing that even if it was something I wanted.   Sorry you have encountered such a self serving individual.

If you placed the item on your credit card I would have a word with them about this situation.  Maybe they can help.

Take care

Ms GF

LindaQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindaQ Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:37pm
post #5 of 62

Ai would not have keep it either i would write a letter and send it to thier po box a tell them opening mail that does not have your name on it is a rime no matter whos fault it was and this is true if thay opened it it is a federal crime

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 62

Just a thought, but if you haven't contacted the company how do you know that this person to whom it was wrongly delivered hasn't actually returned the product?

heysugar504 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heysugar504 Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 62

I agree with Jason. Call the company. I have been suprised in the past at how a company has gone out of the way to make things right. It never hurts to ask. :)

usmdesigner Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 62

I just called the company and they said there is nothing they can do since I messed up and put the wrong address in. I called the post office and they said there are no signatures either. The person came in, got the slip out of their PO Box and gave to the lady at the desk. They got the package and gave it to her. They also put a slip saying to see them so they could ask her about it. She sent her daughter in saturday and told them that they never got the package.

As it stands right now, this person has my stuff (whether she threw it away or is really using it) and there is nothing I can do about it.

The guy from the site said he would maybe look into making it a civil case, but I'm not sure how that works.  True it did have their address on it, but it had my name. Also, I am the one that paid for it and they didn't.  But I don't know how this would work since there is no signatures and it is just her word on did she get it or not.

And it has been 12 days now since she got it. That is what is making me think I am out of luck.  :(

jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 9:36pm
post #9 of 62

AIf I were you I would contact the local police next and explain the situation.

usmdesigner Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 62

Well the problem I have right now is "proving" that they took the package.  Legally, I don't see how there is any chance I can win this or get my stuff back.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 62

AIf it was shipped priority mail there should be a tracking number indicating that it was delivered to the other person's PO box. The post office should also have a record that the other person picked up the package, which they would share with the police if they investigate.

You may also want to keep an eye on craigslist and eBay (or any other popular local classified listings) to see if anyone in your town is selling what you ordered. If you find a listing, don't confront them in-person, but find out their identity (either by calling with your caller ID blocked or from someone else's phone) and go to the police.

usmdesigner Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 10:28pm
post #12 of 62

Yes I have all that information.

I tried craigs and ebay last week and just now and still nothing. I can try the police tonight and see what they end up saying. I can only hope something good can come out of it.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 10:29pm
post #13 of 62

Crimes committed involving the US Mail service are not investigated by local municipal police departments.  If this situation falls under a violation of federal mail laws, it is the jurisdiction of the US Postal Inspector to investigate and prosecute all violations.  The question is, was a law violated?  Only the Postal Inspector's office can make that determination.  Ask at the post office what your next step should be - they will be able to tell you if any laws were violated.

jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 11:14pm
post #14 of 62

A

Original message sent by Dani1081

Crimes committed involving the US Mail service are not investigated by local municipal police departments. 

This is something of a gray area. To me it's more like theft (the equivalent of someone stealing a package from your front porch), which would be covered at the municipal level.

funcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funcakes Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 12:37am
post #15 of 62

You said that you live in a small town?   I live in a suburb and the local police are willing to ask questions of residents about things like this as a way to just find some info. for you. They may not take "police action" but they do stop by homes and ask questions.  You should call them.  They may know your legal rights and give you some advice of what you may and may not do, what would get the results you want.  No harm in trying.

Good luck!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 12:56am
post #16 of 62

ACheck with your credit card company too. They may have a lost / stolen property clause that would cover the items.

Sorry the person didn't return the item to the post office. Some people are just mean.

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 1:09am
post #17 of 62

I am sorry this happen!!icon_sad.gif Please do as the other CC members are saying. Plus another thing, I know as you say ...it was your fault...but if you call your credit card co. and tell them that you did not recieved the product , which is true they might stop payment  and maybe then the other company, the ones that you bought the products from might be incline to do something about it. They have the address or box # that they send the product to. Even if there is no signature on for recieving of product there must be a record of that package being recieved and put in that client's box. 

I hope that this does not in any way take away your joy in the celebration of your daughter's birthday!

I wish you well! 

Ciao!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 1:10am
post #18 of 62

You certainly have proof of purchase.

If you have the tracking number, then you can find the "proof of delivery" online and print it.

Take a copy of that and send it in a letter to the wrong-PO-box and ask them to return the package to the local postal officer.  

If you get no response, send a letter of complaint but check online to see where the USPS lists their ombudsman.  Check also for the FAQ about USPS PO boxes, there may be something there.

FYI I have a PO box in Canada and my contract REQUIRES me to return or redirect wrongly addressed mail.

jason_kraft Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 1:20am
post #19 of 62

A

Original message sent by soledad

I am sorry this happen!!:(  Please do as the other CC members are saying. Plus another thing, I know as you say ...it was your fault...but if you call your credit card co. and tell them that you did not recieved the product , which is true they might stop payment  and maybe then the other company, the ones that you bought the products from might be incline to do something about it.

That's not very honest or fair to the retailer, and OP would probably lose the dispute since the retailer can show it was delivered to the address entered by the customer.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 3:03am
post #20 of 62

Well, as a Police Officer with a current tenure of 24 years and 10 months , I can tell you absolutely that crimes involving the United States Post Office do NOT fall under the baliwick of, and are not investigated by, local municipal police departments EVER.  Mail tampering, fraud, theft, etc., is a FEDERAL offense and as such is investigated and prosecuted by the Postal Inspector.  The only gray area is whether or not a crime has been committed at all.  Only the postal inspector can tell you if this particular incident constitutes a violation of the Federal Statute governing their office. 

soledad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soledad Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 3:08am
post #21 of 62

Jason, I admire your contribution to this forum. You are very knowlegeable.

I know that it would not be "honest" but I was thinking of the "muscle" and know-how they would have for this matters. So they would know how to handdle these matters. I do not know if I am explaining myself well, English is not my first language, but I do know that if a Company would contact this people it would weight more heavily. Just as they recieved the package  they would recieved a letter from them.

umsdesigner... as I said before I am sorry this happened, I know how tight money is at this time. I hope you are able to resolve it favorably!

Ciao!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:10am
post #22 of 62

How about a letter that says "I know who you are and I know where you live...gimme my package back now."  icon_biggrin.gif

I am sorry that this happened.  I have had similar happen...I mailed my nephew a $50.00 AMEX gift card and he never received it...I have now idea where it went though.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:53am
post #23 of 62

I would send a sweetly nice letter to the PO address.  Explain your address error and that the items are needed for your dear daughters upcoming birthday cake.  That you apologize for bothering them but it would be greatly appreciated if they would contact you so you could pick up the items at their convenience.  Instead of assuming the worst, maybe the messages really haven't gotten to the addressee or they have other more pressing concerns or who knows what.  Maybe they just haven't gotten around to dealing with it and a nice note from you might get their response.  Maybe even say you would love to drop off a few cupcakes when you pick it up.  You know, more flies with honey and all that.  Yes, maybe I am naive but, what have you got to lose except a few minutes and a stamp?

VKakes11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VKakes11 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:23pm
post #24 of 62

So, if I'm getting this right, you're the husband, you ordered this item (put your name down, I assume) and the mailman delivered this to a woman, who then signed your name (a man's name)...? Am I getting this correct? Something seems a little fishy here, and I'm not talking about you. I would get this checked on asap

usmdesigner Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 6:48pm
post #25 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by VKakes11 

So, if I'm getting this right, you're the husband, you ordered this item (put your name down, I assume) and the mailman delivered this to a woman, who then signed your name (a man's name)...? Am I getting this correct? Something seems a little fishy here, and I'm not talking about you. I would get this checked on asap

No no. I ordered, put the wrong address (1 number was wrong in the PO BOX). The box arrives at the post office. They put a slip in her PO Box. She gets the slip and takes it to the counter and then they give her the box. She keeps the box even with it having MY name on it. This all happened on the 7th. Even a time stamp of 2:42 of her picking it up. There were no signatures at all.

Some brighter news to the case. The local police said they would talk to the Post Office today to try to get answers. He did also say he feels this lady DID steal the item since she took it, and it obviously wasn't hers and she did not pay a dime on it.

Since the company said the only way they could send the items to me again was a stolen goods report from the police, he said he would do that if they could not recover these items. I'm not sure how all that will work, but at this point I don't care. I don't know the laws about keeping something that isn't yours, but if the company promised to give me the goods with a stolen goods report, then I'll take it. They could sue her for conversion if they wanted to take that route. Bottom line is, she has something that isn't hers and she fully knows it. So it is stolen.

I'd really rather this chick just give me my stuff and quit being stupid about it. 

usmdesigner Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 6:48pm
post #26 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

How about a letter that says "I know who you are and I know where you live...gimme my package back now."  icon_biggrin.gif

I am sorry that this happened.  I have had similar happen...I mailed my nephew a $50.00 AMEX gift card and he never received it...I have now idea where it went though.

lol

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 6:55pm
post #27 of 62

Yeah, that is theft, no way around it.

bk1419 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bk1419 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 8:13pm
post #28 of 62

i would do all of the above but i would also take out an ad in the local paper and tell the whole town what happened, small towns have a way of knowing everything, someone in town knows she got your things.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 9:11pm
post #29 of 62

I know what you mean. I won a rare pan off Ebay, One that i was actually going to use! I payed through PayPal, but accidentally had it shipped to my old address. I waited for it for a few days, then looked into it, and saw my mistake, and went to my old place and knocked on the door, and asked for it. The white trash living there denied ever receiving it! I was SOL, I hope you have a happier ending in your dispute. Good luck.

usmdesigner Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 10:13pm
post #30 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

I know what you mean. I won a rare pan off Ebay, One that i was actually going to use! I payed through PayPal, but accidentally had it shipped to my old address. I waited for it for a few days, then looked into it, and saw my mistake, and went to my old place and knocked on the door, and asked for it. The white trash living there denied ever receiving it! I was SOL, I hope you have a happier ending in your dispute. Good luck.

Yeah, I would love to know who this person is and where she lives so I can show up to her house JUST to ask "Are you REALLY going to use fondant???? Seriously?"

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%