Help!!!! Urgent - My Graduation Cake Is In Danger Of Collapse!!

Decorating By Jannotts Updated 19 Nov 2012 , 8:17pm by KoryAK

Jannotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannotts Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 7:18am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I have to deliver a graduation cake I have made this afternoon!!!! Hence the urgency.  I've made a 3D cake with a figure sitting on the corner of the hat.  Trouble is, as the figure is quite heavy, I'm having difficulty  making the cap top (the flat part) stay in place.  I've had it shored up overnight hoping it will stay in place but I'm worried that during transportation it will give in.  Ive mounted the cake top on a small cake board and the flat part of the hat is iced onto another square cake board, so thought it would be stable.  Don't know what to use as "glue" now.  I've used melted chocolate on the cake as glue and on all other parts that's been fine, it's just the wright of the figure I think but I can't change that now.  I didn't want to have to put a dowel like a column to hold the top up as this will look unsightly.  Please help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 replies
Jannotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannotts Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 7:19am
post #2 of 4

Meant weight of the figure, not wright!!! lol

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 2:52pm
post #3 of 4

You really need something to counterbalance the figure, or else it will keep tipping over.

The only option is to place that corner of the flat piece closer to the centre of the cap that it balances without props. Good glue alone will not be enough.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

You've gotten good advice so far.  If you end up having to put a dowel/support under the figure portion, perhaps you could mask it completely with a tassel?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%