Clear Jell??

Decorating By ChristineJ Updated 18 Nov 2012 , 7:51pm by cakeyouverymuch

ChristineJ Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 5

Hello  Could someone please tell me what clear jell is??

 is it a gelitin?? Thank you.

4 replies
ApplegumPam Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 5

If you are in Australia - cleargel is a product used by a lot of the Guild/Association ladies in place of Tylose/CMC because it is cheap as chips.  (it is OK for modelling but I don't like it to use in flowerpaste)

It is a bakery product that is used in pie fillings etc - it is also used in cakes in small quantities (ie less than teaspoon) where you may add fresh fruit with high moisture content (think raspberries)

It is a Bakels product but you have to buy in something like 5kg minimum which I can tell you will last a LIFETIME or two.  :)

Most Guilds will sell smaller portions to their members


cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 5

No. Clear jel and instant clear jel are modified cornstarch used as thickeners where cornstarch might break down over an extended cooking period or where a mixture will not be heated at all.  Apparently they are used in instant puddings to facilitate thickening without cooking.

ChristineJ Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 5

ok thank you. it is called for in a recipe i am making ( instant clearjel ) i thought it was like a powdered gelitin. or is it the same thing?? ty

cakeyouverymuch Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:51pm
post #5 of 5

No it is a modified cornstarch.  You may be able toorder it from King Arthur:

Quote by @%username% on %date%