Fondant/filling/refrigeration

Decorating By KeLs3784 Updated 18 Nov 2012 , 3:43am by costumeczar

KeLs3784 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeLs3784 Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 3:36am
post #1 of 2

Hello all, 

Have a few questions on a 3 tiered cake I am attempting this coming week (still a newbie here!). 

I want to do a whipped cream/raspberry filling because I have gotten rave reviews on it previously. My question is, I know I need to keep the filling refrigerated, but once covered in fondant and then removed from the fridge, the fondant becomes wet once the temperature changes. Is there any way to prevent that or am I totally doing it wrong from the get go? 

My plan is to bake, level and tort on Mon/Wed. Start to make decorations Thursday, then fill and cover with fondant on Friday night or Saturday morning (the party is 7pm Saturday). 

Please help, and thank you in advance. I should probably look into taking classes for these types of questions lol

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 3:43am
post #2 of 2

You can refrigerate fondant, just don't touch it when you take it out of the fridge. It will get wet-looking, then as it warms up it will dry off. If you touch it you'll make marks on it, but if you just leave it alone it wil be fine.

I'd be more concerned about the whipped cream filling holding up. Have you done it that far in advance before? And how long will the cake be sitting out once you take it out of the fridge? If the cream starts to break down it will seep out and that won't be pretty.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%