What The Heck Is Happening Here!?!?!

Baking By theonlynameleft Updated 27 Mar 2013 , 12:04am by Evoir

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:09pm
post #1 of 8

Can anybody explain to me why my mississippi mud cake is coming out of the tin with weird "dimpled" sides instead of being straight up and down like the sides of the cake tin.

Here is a picture to show you what I mean - I can't understand what could be causing it???  Any ideas???

7 replies
romansfamily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
romansfamily Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 8

I have had a cake to two do that as well and would like to know the answer!

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 8

What did you use to line the tin?  Was it straight and smooth when you put the batter in?

Any chance it shifted?  what was the lining like when you removed it from the cake? creased? buckled over?

theonlynameleft Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

What did you use to line the tin?  Was it straight and smooth when you put the batter in?

Any chance it shifted?  what was the lining like when you removed it from the cake? creased? buckled over?

To tell you the honest truth I didn't line it, just greased it....

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 1:44am
post #5 of 8

From my experience this is caused when there is too much liquid in the recipe.

That may not be always true, but as I said, from the couple of times it happened to me that's the answer.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 3:27am
post #6 of 8

I agree with kakeladi...too much liquid.

theonlynameleft Posted 26 Mar 2013 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much - I think you are probably right about the liquid.  Its a mud cake so quite a lot of liquid in it so maybe I just got my measurements a bit wrong!

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 12:04am
post #8 of 8

Mud cakes are a VERY liquid cake batter. So it may not have been that. Did you cool down your liquid ingredients to room temp before adding to your dry ones? Did you mix thoroughly before placing in your cake pan? Did you melt all the chocolate and butter until perfectly smooth?

If you did everything right, and the cake is not tapered from top to bottom (on its sides) then I would say it is within normal limits. You can fill any mild dimpling with ganache as you 'crumb coat'. I never bake my mud cakes in bare pans, always line them with baking paper as they need to bake slowly at a low temperature and if you don't line them it can cause the sides to brown and dry out too much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%