Wedding Cake 1/2 Red Velvet / 1/2 Cheese Cake

Decorating By rlovecakecreations Updated 19 Nov 2012 , 8:11pm by KoryAK

rlovecakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlovecakecreations Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to create a tiered wedding cake where each layer is 1/2 red velvet and 1/2 cheese cake covered with either smooth butter cream or fondant.  Help.  Is this possible and does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about doing the 1/2 & 1/2 part?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

RLove Cake Creations

11 replies
Doritta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 4:47pm
post #3 of 12

I think you mean each tier, not each layer, but either way it sounds gross. I wouldn't do it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 6:14pm
post #4 of 12

Even though many of  us probably would not care to eat such a combination I think it is possible.

The above link to using cheesecake as a wedding cake does not work for me :(

Cheesecake is going to be too soft for fondant icing.  I suggest using a soft b'cream.

This probably is the time for you 'professional knowledge' come into play :) Try to explain to the bride this is a combination most people would not care for., then suggest that every other tier be cheesecake so guests can have their choice.

OR (I'm wondering) make a layer of each but instead of cheesecake on top of cake cut the layers in 1/2 & stack then shove one 1/2 round of cheesecake & one 1/2 round of cake together so each tier is actually 1/2 & 1/2 - UUUGGG this is hard to put into words - I hope you can picture what I'm trying to say.

Not sure how this will be covered in icing - that's why I suggest using a soft b'cream to make applying it easier.

Sure hope you have time to experiment with this.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 12

If you have 3" deep pans, you can bake a deeper 2-1/2" cake layer.  Cool and slice in half.  Then you can make a refrigerator cheesecake recipe and pour that onto the first cake layer stuck back in the pan.  Add the second layer which will stick up over the pan, and chill to set.  This will taste decent and probably hold together better than a separately baked cheesecake.  It can be iced with buttercream made with a soft consistency to spread well.

But any way you slice this combo, you MUST keep it chilled.  

And I would NOT stack such layers...

rlovecakecreations Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks for all of the your replies and suggestions.  I agree with all of you and I have had all of the same concerns.  According to the bride she was at a "bride show" somewhere and tasted a cake just as I described.  Each tier was red velvet cake and cheese cake.  According to her it was awesome.  The wedding is not until next May and we really have not confirmed anything yet.  This may be the first time I will be turning down a client, unless I can come up with an alternative suggestion for her.  Thanks again.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 12

Actually the combination is quite good.  The RV cake is tangy to begin with and the cheesecake accentuates that.  I have made red velvet cheesecake swirl cupcakes and they are incredible.  The key is finding a cheesecake recipe which will bake up evenly with the rest of the cake.  RV is a very mild cake and it goes quite well with the cheesecake.  In the past I used a cream cheese buttercream to ice the cupcakes.  There is one baker near me who is also a member of this forum who sells these for $42 a dozen. They are a best-seller for her if I recall.

rlovecakecreations Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 8:11pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks, I have done the swirl thing with various cake flavors and cheese cake and you are right red velvet and cheese cake do go well together, but the two separate layers on one tier, concerns me.  Not sure if I want to tackle this unless I practice and see if I can pull it off. 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 12:29am
post #9 of 12

I agree.  I must have missed the part where each layer was different.  For some reason I was assuming they were to be swirled together. 

If you can pull it off I'm sure it will be good. I think the cheesecake "layer" would need to be on top.  The supports would really need to be SPS to make sure there is no pressure on the top cheesecake layer.  If you can keep it nice and cold before stacking I think it could work.

Texan Aunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texan Aunt Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 1:31am
post #10 of 12

Whatever way you possibly get these two different cakes together, I would think that the tier will still be kinda weak. Would the bride be okay with using something like a floating tier stand (Wilton)? I haven't used that stand personally, but I have seen it displaying a cake and it does look quite nice even though it isn't quite stacked. Another option for cheesecake flavor and RV, could be making regular RV layers and then filling them with a cheesecake mousse. I make a cheesecake mousse by whipping cream and adding 1 of the small boxes of Jell-o Instant Cheesecake Pudding/Pie Filling for every 3/4 C. of liquid cream. It tastes really good and makes the tier structurally sound if you're going to stack them.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 5:51pm
post #11 of 12

I've seen it in pictures and the slices do look pretty, ( http://kayscakesandcookies.yolasite.com/resources/Red%20Velvet%20Cheesecake.jpg )

but i'm not sure I would do it as a tiered wedding cake. I've been stacking cheesecakes for years (my avi is a cheesecake) and anytime I try to mix cheesecake and regular cake it is just a disaster for me. The texture and character of the two kinds of cakes is too different IMO to support itself properly.  I believe the proper way to make the tier would be to bake your cheesecake until it starts to set up and then, gently, pour the cake batter on top and bake, but I wouldn't even know how to get it out of the pan! LOL The other option would be to make your cakes, torte and stack without filling. I dunno. I would have to do some test runs before agreeing to it. 

if you decide to do it, I wouldn't even consider stacking it without the cake stacking system. I'm kinda scared for you already! haha

jen

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 12

I don't see how stacking a half and half cheesecake/cake tier would be any different than stacking all-cheesecake tiers.  In fact, the whole thing will be lighter than all-cheesecake so it should be even better.  I would put the cheesecake layer on the bottom so that it can't squish the RV layer (either way is probably fine, but a little extra peace of mind is good), then a little buttercream or jam or whatever they want to stick the two together, then the red velvet layer.  Ice, decorate, dowel, and stack as normal.  I make cheesecake tiered cakes all the time.  You do just need to make sure you keep it chilled as much as possible, so no 8 hour marathon decorating session without chill breaks.

Also I think the flavors will be great together.  Cheesecake goes with EVERYTHING!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%