Need Website Feedback

Business By TheCakeShopUK Updated 26 Nov 2012 , 7:01pm by HowToIceACake

TheCakeShopUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakeShopUK Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 18

Hi

I would really appreciate some feedback on my website, if you would not mind taking a minute or two to check it out it would be a huge help.

Looking to update over the next couple of months to appear more effective on non-flash devices (ipads mainly). Already have a list of intended changes, but would like a fresh pair of eyes just to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

The site is http://www.thecakeshopworthing.co.uk/

new site at : http://www.cakeshopworthing.co.uk/

17 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 18

Your cakes are very nice and the chocolate one in your background looks absolutely delicious but, honestly, the ads are a total turn off and a distraction. You want your potential customers to focus on what YOU'RE selling, not what Craftsy is selling.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 8:32pm
post #3 of 18

AI am running Firefox on Windows with Flash enabled, but for some reason it is showing the text only version of your site so I couldn't see any pictures. You may want to consider getting rid of Flash entirely.

tykesmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tykesmommy Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 5:12am
post #4 of 18

AI didn't see any pictures at all on your site except for order fruit cakes now. I personally think it needs a bit of work, because on my iPhone, it looks a bit... Rough. (I hope I didn't hurt your feelings!)

tykesmommy Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 5:13am
post #5 of 18

AI didn't see any pictures on your site except for buy fruit cakes now. I think it needs a bit of work, because on my iPhone, it looks a bit rough.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:56am
post #6 of 18

A0813021232.jpg

kazita Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 6:59am
post #7 of 18

ATried to upload a cake that I would love to make a false cake of....but I don't know how to upload the file

kazita Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 7:01am
post #8 of 18

ASorry wrong post all together

TheCakeShopUK Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 18

Thanks for the replies and to kazita for hijacking the thread :)

Jason - not sure why you are only able to access the html version, I use firefox on several pcs to view the site and the flash version appears. Apart from javascript not being enabled or denied by a plugin, I'm not sure why that has happened.

tykesmommy - I'm not sure if you get to see the mobile version or the text only version on an iphone, but there should be a menu button/link that should direct you through the site.

With the changes, flash support is top priority with being parted with. Too many iphones and ipads visiting that have to see a "rough" looking site that I have little control over editing.

Any more suggestions would be appreciated.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 5:24pm
post #10 of 18

A

Original message sent by TheCakeShopUK

Jason - not sure why you are only able to access the html version, I use firefox on several pcs to view the site and the flash version appears. Apart from javascript not being enabled or denied by a plugin, I'm not sure why that has happened.

I just tested again and it looks like my ad-blocking software completely blocked the Flash version of your site and all the images on the non-Flash site. When I disabled the ad-blocking software the site appeared correctly, but it was very slow and too busy. It's also strange that you have ads for competing bakeries on your web site.

tykesmommy Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 6:08pm
post #11 of 18

AI just got on your site on my computer and I agree 100% with Jason. Way too busy.

TheCakeShopUK Posted 23 Nov 2012 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 18

AHad a bit of time on my hands this week due to the miserable weather, so I decided to make a few changes that I had been hoping to for a while and take the opportunity of using the new html5 web design.

Thanks again for the comments, as a second opinion is always appreciated. The following link will be available until the morning (GMT) as I need to add some technical changes. So if you want an early look and let me know what you think, please do.

Thanks again.

[URL=http://www.cakeshopworthing.co.uk]http://www.cakeshopworthing.co.uk[/URL]

If you do view it on a mobile, it may be showing the mobile version. you can change it to standard version by clicking the text at the bottom of the page to do so. This is required when navigating every page at present.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 6:29am
post #13 of 18

one thing i have a question about is why you have an "at" sign in your logo?  I'm not sure what I am missing (or others, for that matter) but I am getting the feeling that it was chosen as a fancy a?  Or do you mean to say C 'at' ke Shop?  That is how my brain wants to read it as I am super conditioned to that symbol as an indicator of an email address. This might be a big concern for your more e-savvy customers.  

TheCakeShopUK Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 2:40pm
post #14 of 18

AIt is meant to be read as a fancy 'a'. But the main reason for the '@' is that we are solely an online cake shop, and do not operate from a physical storefront only virtual. Purely to help highlight that we are an online cake shop, similar to how internet c@fes have their logos.

You are the first person that has told me they read it as C 'at' ke Shop, it's usually the coke shop for a little chuckle. :grin:

mickey35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey35 Posted 25 Nov 2012 , 3:21pm
post #15 of 18

It's a bit busy but overall not bad at all.

TheCakeShopUK Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 18

New site is now live and at http://www.cakeshopworthing.co.uk/. Going to run both for the time being and phase the old one out.

If you can spend a minute to have a quick look and let me know what you think, it would be greatly appreciated.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 2:03pm
post #17 of 18

Looking good :) Although I feel its not easy to see where you are, where you serve- if I were googling a cake maker I'd put my nearest town or city into the search, it took me to go through your links in the 'friends' section to find the golf club- go to their site and then look at their 'find us' page just to know what county you're in....

Best of luck, your cakes look lovely! :)

HowToIceACake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowToIceACake Posted 26 Nov 2012 , 7:01pm
post #18 of 18

Not a bad start. I would tend to agree with some other comments that it is a bit too busy - perhaps you have too many colours going on?

Have you thought about using Wordpress? There are loads of great templates you can use that are easy to set up, and they also have special "Widgets" for inserting your ads (if you want to have them), your contact form and so on.

PM me if you need any more help with this if you decide to try Wordpress - I have set up a few websites. I am no expert, but I could give you some tips and suggestions.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%