Wedding Cake Time Frame

Decorating By mfruchey Updated 17 Nov 2012 , 3:59am by mfruchey

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, everyone. I have my first wedding cake due next Saturday, 11/24, and I am trying to work out my time frame in advance to make things go as smoothly as possible.

I am relatively new to both filling with SMBC and covering a cake with ganache, but my practice cakes have turned out beautifully, so I will be using these techniques for the wedding cake.

I plan to bake on Monday and then freeze. Ideally, I would fill the cakes early on Thursday, allowing for several hours in the fridge for the cake to settle and the SMBC to firm up, and then ganache in the evening and refrigerate overnight.

However, my family is insisting on my presence at Thanksgiving, so I will be gone much of Thursday. Is there any chance that it would be okay for me to defrost and fill my cakes on Wednesday, ganache Thursday evening, and decorate on Friday, or is Wednesday just entirely too early to ensure freshness and yumminess? I have also considered saving the ganaching for Friday and letting it sit for several hours before decorating, but I really don't want to cut into my decorating time on Friday. With four tiers and a groom's cake, I'm going to need all the time I can get.

Thanks in advance for the help!

3 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 4

Starting on Wednesday is not a problem at all....in my opinion.   I have started that early before and had zero problems/issues.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 4:53pm
post #3 of 4

Wednesday will be fine.  But note - cakes do not settle in the fridge.   The cold keeps everything firm.  Settling needs to occur at room temp.  Otherwise, as the cake sits at room temp prior to serving it will settle.

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 3:59am
post #4 of 4

Thanks for y'all's help. Makes me feel much better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%