Please Tell Me You Have A Fabulous Apple Pie Recipe You'd Like To Share...

Lounge By yellobutterfly Updated 18 Nov 2012 , 12:24am by AnnieCahill

yellobutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yellobutterfly Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:01am
post #1 of 7

My boss passed around (with my permission) a sign-up sheet to order pies from me for Thksgvng...I was floored by the fact that everone is ordering apple pie (which I have made before but not often and just am not confident with the recipe...)  I expected and was prepared for tons of pumpkin and pecan orders, and instead have lots of apple pie requests!  Please help!

6 replies
KBrigden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KBrigden Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:09am
post #2 of 7

AMy favorite is from Four and Twenty Blackbirds Bakery and it's a Salted Caramel Apple Pie. The crust holds up great and I love the addition of bitters and salted caramel. Amazing flavors!!! http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/four-and-twenty-blackbirds-salted-caramel-apple-pie-recipe/index.html

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 5:37pm
post #3 of 7

My secret to excellent apple pie is the kind of apples.  I try to buy Cortland or Ida Red or Winesap because these make the best tasting filling with cinnamon and cornstarch added--very little sugar is needed.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 7:41pm
post #4 of 7

I just go classic.  A mix of different types of apples, a little sugar and cinnamon.  Sprinkle the top of the crust with coarse sugar crystals to add some nice sweet crunch and sparkle.  Here's the recipe I use.

And I just posted about an apple rose tart I recently made.

The next time I make it, I'm going to make it a caramel apple tart, though.  Yum!  I haven't worked out exactly how yet, but I'm going to start by experimenting with a brown sugar/butter slurry beneath the apple roses.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 7
modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 17 Nov 2012 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Nearly 5000 5* reviews.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-pie-by-grandma-ople/

Ooh, interesting idea, pouring the butter and sugar mixture over a lattice crust.  Giving this one a try myself this thanksgiving!

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 12:24am
post #7 of 7

Great!  Check back and let us know how it goes.  I mean, it's got nearly 5000 good reviews.  That has to count for something! 

I personally prefer a streusel topping but I have never turned away any piece of pie.  :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%