Tried A New Recipe For Buttercream - Time Frame Question?

Decorating By kblickster Updated 19 Nov 2012 , 4:42am by kblickster

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 2:50am
post #1 of 3

I usually test all new recipes on my family - and I shouldn't have tried something new with such short notice, but another baker asked me yesterday to take her customer since she is having surgery tomorrow.  It's a simple 10" square present cake which I baked last night.

I tried the Updated French Vanilla Buttercream posted by luvbuttercream in the recipes forum as my customer requested a buttercream that is not so sweet.  The birthday cake is for Saturday and I have my cake baked, torted/filled with the French Vanilla Buttercream and crumbcoated.  This icing has cream and flavored creamer in it and the OP stated it could sit out for 24 hours with no problem.  My cake is due Saturday and will have fondant decorations on top of the buttercream.  I wanted to let the cake rest as I have been having problems with bulge before I put the final coat on.  Should I?  Or should I go ahead and put the final coat on now?  Wait a couple of hours tonight and then refrigerate until Saturday.  Then bring to room temp on Saturday morning and finish decor? 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 4:40am
post #2 of 3

Generally speaking most (if not all?) b'cream recipes can remain unrefrigerated for several days w/o a problem.

Not knowing the exact recipe you used it's hard to be more definate.

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 4:42am
post #3 of 3

Finished the cake and it was picked up.  I had quite a few dings in the buttercream when I put the fondant decor on.  Since I had used the crusting buttercream, I could not figure out how to repair.  Fingerprints, etc.  I didn't have time to worry about it though.  Customer was happy when cake was picked up.  Funny thing is I get a call from the person who initially sold the cake and she thanked me for doing the cake for her on such short notice and that her customer was happy.  She laughs and tells me I spelled the girls name wrong.  What?  I spoke with the mother on the phone and confirmed 3 times the name.  It was only 3 freakin letters.  Bri is what she said.  Other baker tells me that the girls name is actually Bree and that he mother admitted she told me Bri.  Cruel joke, insanity, to much Zanax?  What would possess someone to pay that much for a cake and not get the name right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%