Trans Fat Shortening Help For Buttercream

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 16 Nov 2012 , 12:13am by kazita

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 8:26pm
post #1 of 7

Some time ago I read a post about a solution to making frosting turn out o.k. using shortening with no trans fat. I can't seem to find it.

I went to the grocery store today to get my shortening and the store brand changed brands and there is no trans fat in it. It seems everyone is doing it.

I have a cake to do tomorrow, and I know my buttercream will be yucky using trans fat free shortening. If anyone can remember the solution, I'd be so thankful.

6 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeezyS 

I have a cake to do tomorrow, and I know my buttercream will be yucky using trans fat free shortening. If anyone can remember the solution, I'd be so thankful.

Give it a chance. My buttercream is half butter, half shortening, and when I changed to the transfat shortening I found very little perceivable difference in flavor and texture. 

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks. I've already made my frosting with trans fat free shortening and it was horrible.

I don't use any butter, just shortening.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 7

Quick...................put a heaping tablespoon of flour in the icing and extra flavorings.  This is the hint that Crisco published on their site when all of us were crabbing about the newly reformulated shortening.  Depending on how large the batch is, you may need two heaping tablespoons.

ycknits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ycknits Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 10:44pm
post #5 of 7

One alternative to hi-ratio shortening is butter.... which contains NATURAL transfat, vs synthetic transfat. Most who have worked hard to eliminate transfat have done so by eliminating both hi-ratio shortening and butter. If you are not opposed to transfat, then try substituting a stick or two of butter to your recipe. My preference, using my favorite buttercream recipe, is 1 pound of butter plus 10 oz shortening plus 10 oz hi-ratio shortening.

You can also use recipes that incorporate other sources of transfat.... including Dream Whip, or artificial creamers, etc.

When I use American buttercreams (those using powdered sugar), I prefer those containing transfats. If you use one of the European buttercreams, then it becomes a non-issue (because they're LOADED with butter :))

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 10:59pm
post #6 of 7

While I typically use a 50/50 mix of butter and margarine in cookie dough, for frosting, I've never used (or even imagined using) anything but 100% butter.

And the one time I did need a dairy-free frosting, I made a fat-free glaze.

(And this whole subject reminds me of an extremely dirty locker-room joke involving the comparative effects of butter and shortening, a joke I'll not repeat here.)

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 16 Nov 2012 , 12:13am
post #7 of 7

ANothing like high ratio shortening when making your. Bc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%