Where To Buy Pastry Scraper

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 15 Nov 2012 , 1:27pm by AnnieCahill

traci_doodle Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:27am
post #1 of 15

I want to buy a pastry scraper for smoothing my buttercream. I need one with a perfect 90 degree angle (no rounded corners), and the handle flush with the blade. Anyone know where I can find one like this? I looked at Bed, Bath, and Beyond but the ones they have either have rounded corners or a bulky handle. I looked on amazon, but with the same results. Anyone have one they like? Where did you buy it?

14 replies
remnant3333 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:34am
post #2 of 15

I would like to know also where to buy one like that. Hopefully someone here can tell us/Mary

PennieK Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:36am
post #3 of 15

I actually use a wallpaper scraper that I bought in the painting section at walmart.It has a really nice edge to it and works really well. It did have a handle but I removed it by unscrewing a couple screws. I bought it awhile ago so I don't remember the brand.

Charmed Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:37am
post #4 of 15

I have one of these for shorter chttp://www.apartmenttherapy.com/-3749akes: I bought it from TJ max

I think sharon zambito sells them too.

for taller cakes I use a drating triangle :


moni05 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:44am
post #6 of 15

bakery crafts has a plastic one i like to use. not sure how to order it though. when i worked at the walmart bakery we ordered from there. maybe you can talk the bakery manager into selling you one?! (if you are near a walmart)

AnnieCahill Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 12:18pm
post #7 of 15

I got mine from Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  It's straight but it does have a bigger, rolled metal handle.  I actually like it a lot.  I find that I can get a really good grip on it and maneuver it well around the cake.


I also have a couple of scrapers from the hardware store, but those have long handles and I think that limits the control you have, with your hand being farther away from the cake.  To me, the handles make it more wobbly. 

traci_doodle Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 3:42pm
post #8 of 15

This is the one I got from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Are yours similar? The edges are ever so slightly rounded, and I'm afraid it will leave the bottom edge of the cake uneven with the rest of the cake. Have you had that problem?



remnant3333 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:08pm
post #9 of 15

Thanks for the information!! I am going to get me one of those sometime this weekend.

kkmcmahan Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 5:23pm
post #10 of 15

I saw online where someone used a 90 degree angle tool that you would get from a hardware store.  The short side rests against the turntable.  It looked like it worked really well.  I plan on picking up a new one (mine have all been used on home projects) for this purpose.



Charmed Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 12:00am
post #11 of 15

yeap..that is what I have

ddon722 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 1:32am
post #12 of 15

The one from Bed Bath and Beyond is the way to go.  It's the one SugarShack recommends on her video since you can immerse it in hot water to smooth the buttercream.

kazita Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 1:51am
post #13 of 15

AWww.designmeacake.com under gumpaste/tools

traci_doodle Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 2:33am
post #14 of 15

Ok, thanks! I will try it out.

AnnieCahill Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 1:27pm
post #15 of 15

Yep the "bash and chop" LOL is what I have.  It works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%