Wedding Cake Production Schedule

Decorating By Christi52 Updated 15 Nov 2012 , 6:19am by Christi52

Christi52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christi52 Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 8

AHi, I have my son's four layer wedding cake to decorate for next Saturday. I need some help with the decorating schedule. I thought I would layer and ganache Wednesday, ice on Thursday and then finish off on Friday for the Saturday wedding, giving the fondant the chance to harden a little to avoid marking. Is this acceptable, or would it be better to delay ganaching for a day, and then try to fit two steps into one day? I'd love to know how all you experienced decorators schedule your production.

7 replies
Tyler4250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyler4250 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 1:52am
post #2 of 8

How much detail is there to add after you put on the fondant?  If there is not a lot, I would think ganache on Thursday and fondant/finish on Friday. 

Christi52 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 1:59am
post #3 of 8

AThank you so much for your help. I just have to add some gumpaste flowers and pearls, I should be able to manage that on Friday - but am just a little worried about marking the very soft Fondant.

Tyler4250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyler4250 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 2:09am
post #4 of 8

I guess I don't know what marking the fondant means.  Do you think you could ganache and fondant on Thursday? 

Those things aside...it is probably fine to ganache on Wednesday; I am probably overly concerned with the cake staying fresh.  I have seen others with this sort of timeline.  Maybe someone else can give some advice.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 8

That schedule is fine. You could even do it a day earlier than you're planning. I'm assuming that you're refrigerating the cake after you're done, though.

Christi52 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 2:46am
post #6 of 8

AYes, I do want to refrigerate, but am a little concerned about it affecting to Fondant - I've read that fondant should never be refrigerated. Thanks also for your help!

andreamak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andreamak Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 4:25am
post #7 of 8

I always fill and frost thursday then fondant (if needed) and finish on friday. I figure that if I mess up it still leaves me time to hurry and redo it for Saturday ;) Good luck!

Christi52 Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 6:19am
post #8 of 8

AThanks, I think that's what I'll do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%