Finally Made My First Beer Bottle Cake....

Sugar Work By pghritchie Updated 31 Oct 2013 , 5:24pm by pghritchie

pghritchie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pghritchie Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 17

This was my very first attempt at a beer bottle cake.  Broke 4 bottles along the way before I got it perfect, but now I can knock them out one right after the other!  I didn't color the sugar mixture after all because I wanted the bottles to be clear at the top and look like they actually had beer in them so I just painted them beer colored!  It was perfect!  We had the party at a bar and the bartender actually came over to try to grab one of them out of the cake!  Luckily, my guard dogs yelled...."NO!  That's food!!!"

He thought the whole thing was real!  Later he told us that the beer companies sometimes send in little promotional items that are plastic replicas and he thought it was one of those!  I even had people from the other side of the bar coming over to take pics of the cake....and yes, I drummed up a TON of business with this thing!

Birthday boy was totally pleased....and I was very proud of my first effort!

45th Birthday Barrel of Beer

16 replies
pghritchie Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 4:30pm
post #2 of 17

Was definitely a big hit, thank you!

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 17

You did an awesome job!! how did you make your ice so clear?

pghritchie Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 17

I played with my sugar recipe till I got it exactly how I wanted it.  Less corn syrup and more sugar.  Most recipes called for equal parts, but I used twice as much sugar because I wanted it nice and clear.  Also, I removed it from the heat the second it hit 300 degrees.  Turned out perfect and just about white every single time.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 4:44pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghritchie 

I played with my sugar recipe till I got it exactly how I wanted it.  Less corn syrup and more sugar.  Most recipes called for equal parts, but I used twice as much sugar because I wanted it nice and clear.  Also, I removed it from the heat the second it hit 300 degrees.  Turned out perfect and just about white every single time.

Thank you!! and yeah, you got it perfect!!! great job icon_smile.gif

pghritchie Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 1:07pm
post #6 of 17

oh yeah....lesson learned the hard way (broke the neck of 4 perfectly good bottles!)....put cornstarch on the outside AND the inside of your mold before pouring the sugar.  It will come out nicely every time.  Without it, I kept breaking the neck of the beer bottles every time I was pulling the mold off! 

SadEyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SadEyes Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 17

Did you make your own mold?

pghritchie Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 2:23pm
post #8 of 17

Yes.....but I found out that it comes out much much smoother if you make a very thick mold!  I think I put 20 coats on mine.  I tried it with 12-15, and it was ok, but the mold tends to ward a little, which will make the bottle less smooth.

rajeev Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rajeev Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 17

sir 

me working in indian film industry in art department 

i saw ur dummy suger bottles n intrested to manufactures in my country 

but i did not get proper material 

can u guide me how i start 

me from india mumbai 

please help me to start new work for my family its urgent 

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 2 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 17

oh that's very cool!!! You did a great job.

In the last photo- is the bottle on the left side a real one ( it's next to the right side one which is sugar)? Or are they both sugar?

How did you do the beer labels?

Shasha2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shasha2727 Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:14am
post #11 of 17

WOW those are super! I will definitely give that a go for my beer fans 50th coming up in a bit.....

smittyditty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smittyditty Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 17

great job!

Did you pour the isomalt in a mold to get the ice shapes? Are those just edible images?

I also never thought to paint the outside of the bottle !!!icon_eek.gif I made my mold upside down so I could fill it with what ever color liquid...a very tricky thing to do!

Great job

BatterUpCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterUpCake Posted 27 Jul 2013 , 2:33pm
post #13 of 17

Wowie Wow wow!!! Super impressed...

pghritchie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:48am
post #14 of 17

Yes...the real one is on the left.  Mine is on the right, before painting it.

pghritchie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 10:50am
post #15 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by smittyditty 

great job!

Did you pour the isomalt in a mold to get the ice shapes? Are those just edible images?

I also never thought to paint the outside of the bottle !!!icon_eek.gif I made my mold upside down so I could fill it with what ever color liquid...a very tricky thing to do!

Great job

The ice is made just like the bottles.  I just crumpled up some non stick foil and poured the sugar over it.  Then popped it off and broke it up.

cakestomuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestomuch Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 17

AWhat did you make your mold out of? Was it stuff that you got from a craft store?

pghritchie Posted 31 Oct 2013 , 5:24pm
post #17 of 17

Yes, I used mold builder.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%