Frustrated Gelatin!

Baking By nah1986 Updated 10 Nov 2012 , 7:18pm by valerieb52

nah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nah1986 Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 2

SoI have read a number of questions and answers and recipes for using Jello Gelatin to make a mousse. And I have tried a few different ways! Nothing is working! I've tried using vanilla pudding mixing it up and putting in the gelatin, to me it was gritty and sour! I tried making the gelatin as the box says waiting for it to gel slightly and then adding 1 cup of heavy cream. Its came out way jiggly and chunky looking but taste great. My mom tried using whipped cream ( cool whip) and gelatin and its came out chunk and funny looking! What is it we are doing wrong?!?!

1 reply
valerieb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valerieb52 Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 2

I don't know what you were trying to make with Jello, but the gelatin you were in need of is gelatin, but it is Knox gelatin.  I tried to find a recipe you can try:

4 yolks

1/4 cup of sugar

1) Beat for 3 minutes on high speed

1 cup heavy cream(not cool whip...it is not real heavy cream)

2) Heat til hot, but not boiling.Gradually and carefully add about 1/2 of the hot milk into the yolk mixture to 'temper' the mixture, so it won't break and carefully and gradually wisk this back to the remaining hot cream that is on the stove. Reduce heat to low and stir constantly for about 5 minutes, til it thickens. DO NOT LET THIS BOIL.

1 cup semi-sweet chocolate, chop in small pieces

3) Add chocolate and remove from heat and stir til melted. Chill completely

1 1/2 cup heavy cream

4) Whip stiff and fold into chilled chocolate mixture.

You can also reduce the amt of milk in a box (about3.9 ounces) of chocolate pudding mix by 1/2 cup and chill...whip 1 1/2 cups of stiff whipped cream and fold in by hand.

I hope this helps. There is no gelatin in the first recipe, but it is a true mousse. The second one has gelatin in the box mix. Peace.     Valerieb52

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%