Flavour Combination...gross Or Yum?

Baking By Tails Updated 15 Nov 2012 , 6:54am by Tails

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 3

Red velvet cake with cannoli filling dusted with PS (vs making more cream cheese/buttercream)?

Does this sound yum or yuck? lol

Sorry if this isnt the right section to post this in, but if anyone has any canolli recipes for the filling that would be helfpul :)

2 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 3

Well red velvet is such a mild cake that I don't think it would be a problem, but I think most people expect a cream cheese icing/filling with a red velvet cake. 

There are lots of filling recipes on the web.  I am actually in the process of developing one myself.  The best thing I can tell you is to make sure you can find a really good whole milk ricotta.  Impastata ricotta is the best, but it is nearly impossible for me to find here in the states.  Also, make sure you drain the ricotta well for at least a day or two.  Put it in a strainer set over a bowl in the fridge.  Nothing worse than a runny filling!  From there the possibilities are endless.  Sweeten it with a very small amount of powdered sugar, then you can add mini chocolate chips and candied citron or a bit of candied angelica if you can find it.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 15 Nov 2012 , 6:54am
post #3 of 3

Awesome thanks :) I was thinking of making my own ricotta (things like that are expensive to buy here in SA so I'd sooner make my own, would be cheaper).

We had red velvet cake yesterday at work and it was paired up with a merangue topping and filling and it was too sweet for my liking!

I think I'll give the cannoli filling a try :) thanks!

PS: Thanks for the tip on the draining!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%