How Do I Do A Black Silhouette

Decorating By Meg147 Updated 13 Nov 2012 , 7:33pm by LisieAn

Meg147 Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 11:16am
post #1 of 7

I've been asked to do this at very short notice (Sun 11th Nov)  - can anyone advise the best/quickest way of getting the black characters on to the cake?

I did a similar one of Elvis, which I just cut the features out of black sugar paste, it was very tricky as cutting it was not the prob - but when transferring it to the cake the fondant kept stretching - it looked 'ok', but I wasn't entirely happy with it.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif

6 replies
bikemom3 Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 12:49pm
post #2 of 7

When cutting out figures I put my fondant/gumpaste in the freezer for a few minutes then cut it out, if the fondant starts getting soft back in the freezer for a few minutes. that way it is stiff enough to place on cake using a spatula and won't stretch. hope this helps

Crazy-Gray Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:24pm
post #3 of 7

I put a stone chopping board in the freezer (or a small tile) and use modeling choc: roll it out first then place it on the stone/tile and cut away, it'll stay stiff for ages (icon_confused.gif) and transfers really easilly.

soledad Posted 9 Nov 2012 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 7

do a mixture of 50/50 fondant and gumpaste let it dry a bit before cutting, cut it and let it dry some more, not totally so that the images are manageable but not too stiff.  

Meg147 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks folks, I didn't receive the last two answers until today, so I went with BikerMom's advice and it worked a treat - so Thanks, but all advice is good to know for future ref icon_smile.gif

IHeartCupcakes Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 8:54pm
post #6 of 7

I have found that using wilton black fondant and letting it sit for about 10 minutes before cutting works perfectly!  Once you cut it, let it sit for another half hour.  I just cut some silhouettes a few days ago and it worked great!  The cake is in my gallery.

LisieAn Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 7:33pm
post #7 of 7

I personally like to paint my silhouettes.  You can buy edible paint or make your own with gel food coloring, a little corn syrup and vodka.

Quote by @%username% on %date%