Shortening With Trans Fat Vs. Hi Ratio

Decorating By rdjr Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 9:18pm by rdjr

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 3

I found generic brand shortening at the store the other day with 2.5 g Trans Fat. But I had ordered Kitchen Krafts Hi Ratio Shortening an hour before for the first time so I did not buy it. There is a great price difference between the two and I was wondering if I can use the generic with Trans Fat instead of the Hi ratio with the same results? Thanks!

2 replies
vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 3

What are you planning to use it for?

Hi-Ratio shortening (can be trans fat free or not) contains emulsifiers. That is what makes it different from Regular shortening. The amount of Trans fat has nothing to do with the characteristics that make Hi-Ratio shortening different from regular. So... are you trying to bake a hi-ratio cake? Then regular shortening won't work. Are you trying to make Decorator's buttercream? Then either would work depending on what recipe you're using. I have read that Sugarshack's BC requires Hi-Ratio for best results.

rdjr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rdjr Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks for your response vgcea. I plan to use it in buttercream. I live in texas and I use an all shortening recipe. My recipe is always grainy when using Crisco.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%