Work Mats

Decorating By mareetina Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 7:40pm by cakeyouverymuch

mareetina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mareetina Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:49am
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone,

I am thinking of getting the Wilton Roll & Cut Mat. What does everyone think?? Is it good?

Do you find the markings useful?? Can you cut on it??

Thanks

4 replies
kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 12:50pm
post #2 of 5

I have one of those mats but honestly I don't use it very often.  For rolling fondant I use 'The Mat' and I love it.  I have the older mat which does not have the markings so I just use a take measure, the newer one is marked I believe.  If I am cutting fondant I am not rolling as much and just use my silicone mat and cut it on that.  Nothing wrong with the Wilton mat, it is less expensive, but I love the mat. Here is a link to a demo of the mat.

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 5

AThe Wilton mat sucks sooo very much!!! You can't roll anything on it because it moves way too much. I learned that after spending money on it... If money is an issue(when isn't money an issue? Lol), go to your craft store and buy some vinyl(super cheap). It still moves a bit but not as bad as the Wilton mat.

Having said all that, the markings are useful. I like to put my Wilton mat underneath vinyl(since I already own it; but I wouldn't buy it for this purpose; just have a tape measure handy when you roll your fondant) so I can see the markings and the vinyl keeps it from moving too much.

To do good work, you have to have good tools. A silicone mat really is your best bet.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

The Wilton mat is pretty thin and some people find that no matter what they do, things stick to it.  I "think" it's a food safe plastic.

The Mat (sweetwise.com) is actually food safe vinyl (standard craft store/sewing store vinyl is NOT food safe) and I find it to be very user friendly.  I roll on only one piece of The Mat, held to the counter with a spray of water.  I rub on a smear of crisco, roll out the fondant, and pick it up using my rolling pin.

HTH

Rae

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 5

No, you can't cut on the Wilton mat unless you are very very careful.  I now own two of them, one with and one without a cut.  Of course, my cutter of choice is a scalpel, a less sharp implement might be a better option.  The problem of it sliding on your counter is easily solved by wiping your counter with a damp cloth.  If the counter under it is wet it won't slide at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%