To Insert The Flowers, Or Not To Insert The Flowers? Opinions?

Decorating By mgostin Updated 10 Nov 2012 , 8:50am by mgostin

mgostin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgostin Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 9:19am
post #1 of 4

Hello!

Just yesterday I delivered a plain wedding cake that was to be decorated with real flowers. I have never put fresh flowers on a cake, or flower arranged, and was relying on the florist to show me and do a beautiful job. Anyway, she did a terrible job and I told her so (in the nicest way possible) and she stormed off leaving me with an ugly 80's cake and half dead flowers. I did the best I could (picture below). Other florist were there and said it was a sin to insert the flowers into the cake (which the previous florist did and I continued to do) - opinions on that?

Also I tried to get a height with the flowers on top of the cake, and the other florist said to use little plastic containers, like those chinese ones, but I just kind of built them on top of each other and layered the flowers, opinions on that?

Any tips and do/don't would be great. Thank you!

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 4

No, you shouldn't stick flowers (or wires, for that matter) directly into cake.  You can use plastic flower picks, coffee stirrers, or straws in the cake and then put the flowers into those.  As for height, a covered styrofoam block or a mound of stiff icing can work very well.

HTH

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 4

Many flowers extrude (right word??) a milky fluid when the stem is cut.  That means it is poisionous :(

As was said, one should NEVER stick flow2er stems into a cake.  There are containers sold for that purpose but plain plastic drink straws or coffee stirers are another option. 

mgostin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgostin Posted 10 Nov 2012 , 8:50am
post #4 of 4

Thank you! This is what I originally thought as well, as far as I know no one was sick, so I think the cake went down well. But, I wont let that happen again. Thank you for the tips and advice :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%