Help With Layer Size And Stenciling

Decorating By Wild4cupcakes Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 3:16pm by Wild4cupcakes

Wild4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wild4cupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:23am
post #1 of 3

I want to make a similar cake to the one pictured.  I've found a stencil that is almost EXACTLY a match to the scroll pattern on the wedding invitation and think it will be great!  However, this is my first attempt at stenciling and I want to be sure to order the correct size for the tiers. The cake pictured appears that all of the tiers are the same height. Do you think these are 4" layers or 5" layers?  There will be 55 guests and I need enough cake to save the top tier for the couple. 

Any advice is very welcome concerning the height and size of tiers and the appropriate size stencil to acheive this damask look.  Thank you in advance!!!

PS - I am intending to practice the technique on dummies before I try it on the cake.  I am planning royal icing over fondant.  If you have advice about that - I'm all ears.

2 replies
LeeBD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeBD Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 3

They seem to be 4" cakes, but sometimes it's hard to tell from a picture.  10", 8" rounds will serve 55(1"x2" slices)and a 6" for anniversary cake. 

Wild4cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wild4cupcakes Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 3:15pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks, I thought they looked like 4" which I am thrilled about because the stencil I bought is 3.7" so keeping fingers crossed. 

I am a little terrified of stenciling on the real cake!  Can anyone tell me how "forgiving" the fondant will be.  In other words if I get into a mess with the stencil can I remove the royal icing without ruining the fondant underneath?

Thanks so much for your help.  This is for a very close friend and I really want it to be spectacular for her day. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%