Swiss Bc And A Turkey Shaped Cake

Decorating By Debcent Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 6:15pm by KoryAK

Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 5

Is it possible to make a 3D roasted turkey looking cake using smbc instead of the crusting kind? and still make turkeky skin impression using a paper towel or something else?  I just love smbc-my new favorite bc. (I make mostly cupcakes.)  Im not sure if Im that great at trying to decorate with it though. My son's birthday is on Thanksgiving and I  thought it would be fun to surprise him  with a turkey cake. My family doesnt care much for the crusting bc. I would love to be able to  create it using smbc if possible. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Deb:)

4 replies
Debcent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debcent Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 11:58am
post #2 of 5

is there not anybody who use smbc to sculpt their cake? 

sweetpea223 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea223 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 12:10pm
post #3 of 5

I have sculpted cakes and used smbc as I know a lot of people don't like fondant...so I just use fondant as decorations. I'm not sure if the paper towel effect would work on smbc. Maybe if you have a little darker color mixed into the light color, it would get the turkey skin effect. I'm sure even if you don't get the paper towel effect, it would come out great and your son would love it. Good luck and post pics.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 5

You can't press into SMBC the same way you do with ABC.  If it's room temp, you're just going to destroy it and if it's chilled the pattern won't press in anyway.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 6:15pm
post #5 of 5

AND I never use SMBC for carved cakes, always fondant over SMBC.  I know I *could* get it smooth enough over a complicated shape but I'm not willing to spend the excessive amount of time it would take.

You can do a turkey skin impression on the fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%