Wilton Classes

Decorating By KATGG84 Updated 14 Nov 2012 , 11:55am by wswanliz

KATGG84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATGG84 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 8

I have a question. I recently finished course 1 from the Wilton Decorating Courses, and I found it to be awful! I mean, ok, I learned what some of the tips do, and I learned how to make a rose, but I'm wondering if all Wilton Classes are terrible! There was very little to no guidance at al..and even if I was doing something wrong, which there were a few times that I did, all we got was encouragement! I just feel like I could have read the book and learned on my own more than what I learned in class! The only problem is here in Canada. I can only find Wilton Courses!

Does anyone know of other courses I can take in Canada, as I am not fond of the Wilton ones?

7 replies
korean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korean Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 8

I would strongly suggest you try another Wilton instructor. Also, keep in mind that the first course really is an introductory course- the other classes go into much more detail on techniques- especialy the fondant classes. Sounds like the instructor was too passive- I know I always correct people if I see something workng. I think some instructors are afraid to do this beacuse they will be viewed as being 'not nice' or 'too harsh', but you can correct mistakes and still have people look at it in a positive way. Again- I would look for another instructor.

KATGG84 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks korean! I appreciate the feedback! I am really just getting into bigger projects, and have strictly been a home baker up until now! I don't have anything against Wilton, I think you are probably right, I just had the wrong instructor!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 8

You should be able to find Continuing Education courses at any local community college that has a culinary arts program.  They have all their courses listed online but you have to be looking for the ones that are in the ContEd lists.

PME teaches a British style course at Goldas Kitchen in ON.

And you could do a lot worse than buy the older Wilton books (anything published between 1970-1980) and learn from those.  Look on ebay as they should cost no more than $10 for the hardback Celebrate annuals, or about $8 each for the yearbooks. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 4:34pm
post #5 of 8

And there's the Bonnie Gordon school in Toronto.

The McCalls school west of the GTA.

And one more linked from flourconfections.com whose location I can't remember.

Just to name a few...

Priya25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Priya25 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:42pm
post #6 of 8

Hi KATGG84, am from Kuwait and visited Toronto last year....I did a Wilton course at Michaels and I had the best instructor one could ask for. Her name is Lisa Wright. U can get in touch with her at GOLDAS KITCHEN....address below.

Address: 2885 Argentia Rd #6, Mississauga, ON L5N 8G6

Phone: (905) 816-9995

Hours: Sun 11am-5pm Mon, Sat 10am-6pm Tue-Fri

10am-8pm

Hope this info is useful for u. Best of Luck. :)

KATGG84 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the information! I am in Ottawa, so I'll check out the local colleges and see what they offer! I just want to be clear that I use Wilton products, and I did learn a few things from the course, but I think the INSTRUCTION was not what it could have been! I don't want to offend any Wilton instuctors on this site, or anywhere for that matter!

Thanks again for all the information! I'll have to start looking into different college courses!

wswanliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wswanliz Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 11:55am
post #8 of 8

I am not that familiar with Ontario, but please check out my link to classes in Ontario, http://www.cakedecoratingclasseshq.com/cake-decorating-classes-in-ontario/ .  Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%