Buttermilk - Can It Be Frozen??

Decorating By sammybisthebest Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 10:16am by Jennifer353

sammybisthebest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sammybisthebest Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 7

I have to be honest, I havent really looked that far into the forum to answer this question but its something that comes up everytime I bake with Buttermilk and Im left with half a carton leftover... Can it be frozen? If the answer is yes, how can I store it??? Thanks in advance... Sammy

6 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 7

I just throw it in the freezer in the carton sealed up with a bit of foil, I just make sure I give it a good swish round to mix it up again when I defrost it. 

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 1:40am
post #3 of 7

I use powdered buttermilk. Keeps a long time when sealed in an airtight container in the fridge and I haven't been able to tell the difference in my recipes.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 1:57am
post #4 of 7

Thank you to the OP for asking a question that I've been wondering about too.  I like the powdered buttermilk for bread and muffins, but notice the difference when baking cakes.  I've often wound up throwing out buttermilk, and even milk that went beyond its bb date.  I'm going tostart freezing it in zip bags in measured amounts so I just have to pull out one bag the next time I bake a chocolate cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:40am
post #5 of 7

To help use up buttermilk try making a buttermilk milkshake :)

A nearby resteraunt became famous here for their buttermilk milkshakes.

They mostly made pineapple B milkshakes but I have made chocolate and other flavors.

It's easy, just put ice cream in a blend, add b'milk and  blend until smooth. 

Add fruit if you want.

HalifaxMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HalifaxMommy Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 3:20am
post #6 of 7

I took a reminder of a 1L carton of buttermilk and poured it out into ice cube trays, froze it and after it froze put them in a large ziplock baggie.  Each ice cube form holds close to 30 mls I find. 

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 10:16am
post #7 of 7

I know it wasn't the question asked (useful to know you can freeze it, thanks!) but this might be useful to someone... I normally use buttermilk/sour milk in bread, it is really easy and very tasty. The one I use is based on this recipe, swopping some of the white flour for extra wholemeal and leaving out the sugar.

http://www.follain.ie/html/recipes/recipe_3.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%