How Do I Color Gum Paste A Gold Color

Decorating By dweddings Updated 4 Nov 2012 , 12:48am by dweddings

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

Help ASAP  I am making a crown,for a prince's  crown,and I need to color the whole thing gold. I know you can "paint" it using Luster Dust? Is there a way to turn the whole batch gold? The same way you would use gel coloring.  I need to make the crown today ,tomorrow at the latest . It is for a baby's 1st Birthday cake. The party is next Saturday  so I need to make the crown ASAP so it will dry. It will sit on top of  6" cake it is the same size as the cake. Thank you for any help you can give

5 replies
AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 9:24pm
post #2 of 6

Not really, no. You just need to either airbrush it with gold sheen (ok gold look, not bright and realistic, but effective enough). I get gold highlighter powder from CK, and mix it up with vodka and paint it on. You get an actual shiny gold look with that stuff versus luster/airbrush sheen.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 9:25pm
post #3 of 6

make it in gumpaste, let dry and spray with edible gold.

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 9:26pm
post #4 of 6

I would consider spraying it with the gold sheen airbrush colour or paint it on after with that.  I made a silver crown for a first birthday cake that is my photos in the Children's Birthday Cake album and I painted it on and used the silver sheen americolour airbrush colour.  I had to do a few coats to get the density I wanted.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 12:36am
post #5 of 6

Make in color similar to gold....then spray or paint as already suggested.

dweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dweddings Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 12:48am
post #6 of 6

Thank you everyone for your help. Should I airbrush or paint it gold right away? If I make it tomorrow should I let the gum paste dry and than in a few days color it? Or should I color it  right away,when I make the Crown tomorrow ? Thanks once again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%