What Is A Dripper Pan?

Lounge By mommapaul3 Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 3:00am by mommapaul3

mommapaul3 Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 7:28pm
post #1 of 6

One of the older ladies from my church gave me a homemade, handwritten cookbook for my wedding of all her best recipes.  In several of the cake and brownie recipes she says to bake in a "dripper pan".  Does anyone knows what that is?  Thanks!

5 replies
tabathaba Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 6

"A cake drip pan is a pan that is placed under a cake as it cooks to keep the cake from dripping over the edges and onto the oven floor. Many times a cake drip pan is an aluminum foil pan."  From Ask.com

mommapaul3 Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 6

I saw this as well when I was searching, but she mentions putting the batter directly into a dripper pan, so I was wondering if she was talking about some kind of specific bakeware I'm not familiar with.

soozicake Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 1:00am
post #4 of 6

Taking a stab in the dark I thought this might be a small roasting pan. Yahoo Answers has some responses.. a pan you put inside your roasting pan to catch juices for gravy making.

BakingIrene Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 4:25am
post #5 of 6

Older cooks roasted meat on racks set into drip pans.  Drip pans were usually about 9 x 13 x 2 inches deep so you could make a decent yorkshire pudding using the drippings.

mommapaul3 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 3:00am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone, I guess I'll just try a regular baking pan and see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%