Deer Cookie Cutters

Baking By Neophyte Updated 6 Nov 2012 , 11:53pm by Ursula40

Neophyte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Neophyte Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 8

I've spent hours online in search of a nice (over 5 inches tall) cutter for a deer.  Most offer a block-ish figure or legs up, flying/jumping position.  I'd love to find one with the deer standing, preferably showing all 4 legs, long and lean.  A mold would work, too, as the piece will be constructed of gumpaste for a cake design.  The more elegant the piece, the better I'll like it; willing to pay more money for it.  Anyone know of a company that specializes in quality detailed molds or cutters?

7 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 1:09am
post #2 of 8

http://www.thecoppercookiecutterstore.com/

try them, haven't used them yet myself, because I live so far away, but I have read great things about them

Neophyte Posted 4 Nov 2012 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you, Ursula, for the suggestion.  I checked them out but didn't see what I wanted.  I really like the idea of a silicone mold (stands up on cake) but the cost was crazy - $30+.  ARGH!  As I get a good deal of my design ideas from holiday cards, I opted to stencil the picture I selected for the December cake I'm planning.  So far, so good.      And the stencil won't break the bank.  icon_smile.gif  Thanks again!

kkmcmahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkmcmahan Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 1:18am
post #4 of 8

I recently did a cake for a family member where I needed a deer and could not find a cookie cutter I liked.  I ended up finding a 'clip art' picture on the internet that I liked, enlarged it, printed it out and used it as a template for modeling chocolate.  It worked out pretty good. 

Scott Clan Crest...birthday for a friend

Neophyte Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 2:01am
post #5 of 8

Great job on your cake, K.  That's what I opted to do.  I should stick with stenciling; continues to be my easiest methods.  I'm not an artist so I have to be creative in how I approach my cakes.  I've already cut the stencil, cut the chocolate fondant and I'm in the process of painting.  Wish me luck!  

PS - I'm still determined to get that deer mold, though - eventually.  thumbs_up.gif  Awesome looking tool.

Ursula40 Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 8

What you could perhaps do is but a small plastic deer and use the amazing mold putty to make your own mold. But that stuff is not cheap either. It's worth looking into though, if you would hae several cakes to do, for a one off cake, you're better off with a stencil

Neophyte Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:00am
post #7 of 8

Great suggestion, Ursula.  I found a YouTube that looked tricky to me (of course, it was late in the evening - attention span wasn't the greatest icon_smile.gif) but maybe it's not as difficult as it seemed at that hour.  But I'm with you - guessing it's an expensive process, too.  Have you ever tried it?  I'm very tempted.  It would be my luck, though, to only be able to find a tee tiny plastic deer.  I would really like it to be 5" or better.  I like your determination, Ursula. 

Ursula40 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 8

Yes I have made molds, no deer yet though, not many of those running round in Shanghai. I've made mainly shells, buttons, one bottle , coins and lace. I usually use the kneading kind of silicone, although i also have some of the liquidy type. I get my food grade silicone from Germany though, easier for me, cause we fly over there once a year. And yes, I am fairly determined, I'm just used to finding solutions, as out here, you can seldom find everything you need or want, so you get used to looking for ways around the problems

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%