kianson Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 9:34pm
post #1 of

AHi all I have to make a group of three cakes. One will be a two tier (8"and 6"), one will be a tall 8", and the other a tall 6". Each has a different height cake stand. She wants them all to be the same height once finished. My question is, how high can I stack cake layers before I need to support with a board and dowels? Can I do a double (8" high) stack without support between the two? TIA

4 replies
debbief Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of

Rule of thumb is cakeboard and support for every 4". 

leah_s Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 10:42pm
post #3 of

ditto.  correct

kianson Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 8:31pm
post #4 of

AThank you both for your replies. As a follow on. Any tips as to how to stack 6" rounds on top of each other. My concern is if I ganache the first cake, put supports in and the second cake on top, how will the two be separated to be cut without being a huge mess ???

kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 10:12pm
post #5 of

You don't say how tall this 6"er is going to be.  I have made 6"er 6" tall w/o using additional support as they are soooo light it really isn't needed.  I did use a long dowel in the center to hold them together just long enough to transport.  I always remove those center dowels so the cutter does not have to deal with it.  Any hole can be filled with icing or covered w/a flower or other decoration.

Not having used ganache I can't help with that part.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%