Snowflake Gum Paste Cutters

Decorating By sandy1 Updated 2 Nov 2012 , 11:03pm by Cher2309b

sandy1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandy1 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 9

Hi all, where can I order snowflake cutters for fondant and gum paste.  I have a wedding cake to do and the bride wants several different snowflake designs cascading down a 4 tier cake.  I'm looking for cutters that have the detail in them so all I have to do is cut them out.  Is there such a thing?????  I've looked on line and I can't seem to find a large variety of them.  Help!

Sandy 

8 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 9

JEM have a nice set, but they're a real PITA! Gorgeous, though - when you finally get the hang of it!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 10:20pm
post #3 of 9

PME has a great plunger snowflake. hth

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 9

There are several brands of cookie cutters and different sets from each brand.  Most cakes have the fine details piped on because that is a lot faster and more durable than cutting fine lines.  

Lots of patterns online for free, go to wilton.com and click on "pattern locator" on left side. Type "snowflake" into search box and there you are.

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 1:05am
post #5 of 9

Look up ecrandal copper cookie cutters. They have masses ready made and will also make whatever you want. They are beautiful and detailed. I have ordered several from them online and they have sent them to me really quickly to Australia from the States. Good luck, Cheryl

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 1:56am
post #6 of 9

I had the same problem last year.  I went to a craft store and purchased several detailed plastic snowflakes during Christmas time, then purchased some silicone plastique at the same store - found near the Sculpey.  You mix even amounts of the two containers together, press the snowflakes into the clay and leave them there for 20 minutes then you can press anything into them (gumpaste, fondant) or white chocolate - works beautifully and it's food safe.  Then if you want a lacy look, just use small plunger cutters.  This really is the only way you can get the look and size you envision, without personally visiting a decorating shop.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 4:25am
post #7 of 9

You can also use snowflake paper punchers on very thin and kinda dry fondant/gumpaste or edible image sheets.  This method gives you a lot of detail very quickly and may at least help flesh out you cascade of otherwise more labor intensive flakes.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 5:56pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cher2309b 

Look up ecrandal copper cookie cutters. They have masses ready made and will also make whatever you want. They are beautiful and detailed. I have ordered several from them online and they have sent them to me really quickly to Australia from the States. Good luck, Cheryl

I looked all over the ecrandal site and found no snowflake cutters. I have quite a few of these:

https://www.google.com/search?q=snowflake+cookie+cutter&hl=en&prmd=imvnse&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_QiUULn1EoLKiwLVxoGwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CHYQsAQ&biw=1472&bih=1024

Cher2309b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cher2309b Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 11:03pm
post #9 of 9

Sorry for the misunderstanding; I was referring to their huge variety of cutters in general and the fact that they will make cutters to order.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%