Chocolate Pound Cake?

Decorating By Hollysuann Updated 11 Dec 2012 , 5:44am by Apti

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 4:35pm
post #1 of 8

Most of the recipes for chocolate pound cake say to use a bundt pan, can I use regular cake pans for these recipes too?

I am making a three tiered cake and the customer wants chocolate but I love using pound cake for the stability! 

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 4:37pm
post #2 of 8

I have a great pound cake recipe (vanilla, choc, etc.) I DO use it in my regular pans for wedding cakes, etc. . They do great. hth

Hollysuann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hollysuann Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 5:12pm
post #3 of 8

want to share the recipe?  :)

icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

Hi, just seen this again. I am having a horrible time signing on the site. Never had this problem. But i will get back to you with the recipe that a cake friend of mine gave me 18 yrs. ago. she won on it several times at the state fair. It is her grandmothers. get back to you.

linnod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linnod Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

I have a great pound cake recipe (vanilla, choc, etc.) I DO use it in my regular pans for wedding cakes, etc. . They do great. hth

Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101 

Hi, just seen this again. I am having a horrible time signing on the site. Never had this problem. But i will get back to you with the recipe that a cake friend of mine gave me 18 yrs. ago. she won on it several times at the state fair. It is her grandmothers. get back to you.

Would love to have that recipe. I am in desperate need of a good choc/pound cake for a sweet young man birthday

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 10 Dec 2012 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 8

AI have used this one from another cake site and everyone loved it. Here is the recipe if you want to try it. Sift together and set aside:

3 cups of cake flour

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/2 cup good quality dry cocoa (I used Hershey's)

Bring to room temperature:

6 eggs that have been separated

1 cup sour cream

1 cup real sweet cream butter

Other ingredients:

1/3 cup of Cappuccino French Vanilla mix (I used Sam's Club brand). Place the dry mix into a glass measuring cup and pour boiling water over it up to the 1/2 cup mark, and let sit to cool off a bit.

2 squares of Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate squares plus

6 squares Baker's German Sweet chocolate baking bar (will equal 1/3 of the bar) and melt these two together in the microwave at 30 second intervals until melted. Set aside to cool a bit.

1 tsp. real vanilla

3 cups sugar

4 tbs. vegetable oil

Method:

Preheat oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream together the butter and sugar on low in a stand mixer until completely incorporated and light colored. Keep mixer going and add one egg yolk at a time into the creamed butter and sugar, staying on low speed. You don't want any air beat into this batter. Add the vanilla, the cooled down cappuccino mix, and the oil, scraping often. Next the melted chocolates go in, again scraping often to incorporate all of the ingredients. Next, alternate the flour/soda/salt mixture and the sour cream. Keep that mixer on low, and scrape again to insure all ingredients are incorporated into the batter.

Using a hand mixer, beat the egg whites just until they are nice and frothy and starting to hold their shape, but not so much that they are becoming dry-not stiff. With a wire whisk, incorporate the egg whites into the entire batter.

Using a pan release, cover three 8" round pans both bottom and sides. I don't use parchment paper on this cake, but if you feel safer doing so, use that on the bottom of each pan. Bake for approx. 35-45 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. Each oven is slightly different, so check. Once done flip out onto waxed paper or parchment paper that has pan release on it for them to cool before icing.

icer101 Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 3:19am
post #7 of 8

Hi, sorry, i forgot to get back with the recipe i was talking about. This is a recipe from a friend that her grandmother made.

3 st. butter..... 11/2 st. margarine(she uses blue bonnet or imperial).... 2T vanilla... 4 1/2 cups sugar... 8 eggs... 1 1/2 cups milk...  3 3/4 cups A/P flour... 3/4 cup cocoa.... do it in this order..... cream 3 st. butter and 1 1/2 cups margarine.... add 4 1/2 cups sugar(cream lite and fluffy) I add a little at a time) add 2T vanilla(pure vanilla)... add 8 eggs (one at a time) until incorporated... add 3/4 cup cocoa, 3/4 cup flour,3/4 cup milk(incorporate this) then 11/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup milk incorporate this) and finish with 11/2 cup flour. incorporate this good. Use rubber spatula and fold couple of times. Pour into regular cake pans or tube pan.  Bake at 325 degrees until done. I have made lots of wedding cakes or anniversary cakes with this recipe. I use circles of wax paper in bottom of  pan also. Her butter pound cake is the same, you don,t add the 3/4 cup of cocoa, you use all together 4 1/2 cups of flour . Mix as i have printed. i hope you enjoy this recipe.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 5:44am
post #8 of 8

Here is an excellent "doctored" pound cake recipe from Janette Pohlman that I have used several times with great success. 

http://www.pohlmanscakes.com/recipe.php?id=13

Cream Cheese Pound Cake

• 1 pkg (18.25 ounce) fudge or white cake mix
• 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature
• 1/2 cup water
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 4 large eggs
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Cooking Instructions

Place the cake mix, cream cheese, water, oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop the machine and scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping the sides down again if needed. The batter should look well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing it out with the rubber spatula. Bake in preheated oven at 325 degrees F. It says to bake in a tube pan, but I baked it in sheet pans. It was fine. Do not over mix.

(I took a class from Janette at the 2010 ICES in San Diego.  She let me have her boot cake to dis-assemble and study when I got home.  As an experiment, I tasted the white cream cheese pound cake that was now 2-1/2 weeks old, and it was still tasty!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%