Pudding Filling?

Baking By rpaige Updated 1 Nov 2012 , 1:16pm by saraek

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:36am
post #1 of 6

I'm not very experienced with cupcakes but wanted to surprise my young son's football team with special cupcakes.  I would like to know if basic pudding can be inserted into a cupcake or would that cause the cupcake to be too mushy?  If not, what filling would you suggest that I could insert and decorate one day prior to serving the next day (wanted to bake, fill and decorate on Friday and serve on Saturday afternoon)  - is that even possible?  I'm the team mom and with all the banquet preparations, I'm running out of time!  Wanted get the cupcakes made one day in advance but not sure that is wise.  Can you tell I'm beginning to stress out?

I appeciate your advice and suggestions!

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:40am
post #2 of 6

Yes, any pudding, whether you make it from scratch or the ones in grocery stores, jams and spreads, nutella, etc. are good fillings to use in cupcakes. Lo ts of recipes on this site and over internet for great cupcake fillings. hth

rpaige Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 11:11am
post #3 of 6

Will my cupcakes be mushy if I decorate a day before the event and the cupcakes have a filling?  Do they need to be refrigerated?  I have to make about 100 cupcakes and I'm worried about proper storage.

Thanks!

jpaiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpaiva Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 11:45am
post #4 of 6

Although I have never tried filling with pudding, I have filled with caramel, jam, lemon curd, etc and they have never gotten mushy.  For fillings that don't need to be refrigerated like caramel, then I don't put the cupcakes in the fridge, and they've always lasted 3 - 4 days before starting to dry out, but I have never had any get mushy, even after like a week....dry...but not mushy!  I think you'll be fine!  Store it in airtight containers and they should be good for the next day.

rpaige Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 11:59am
post #5 of 6

Thanks so much, guys!  I did not want to try something new and then have a disaster when it is so important to my son.  I will give it a try - may use Nutella as suggested above.  I appreciate you holding my hands - keeps me from pulling my hair out!  LOL

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:16pm
post #6 of 6

I make a mousse from pudding and use that as a filling.... I can fill the night before, keep the cupcakes in the fridge and serve the next day... just 1 package of pudding (the large size...) 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of heavy whipping cream. :) It's a delicious filling and holds up well! good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%