Question For Those Who Have A Cake Business And Diabetes.....anyone With Ideas Appreciated :-)

Business By cakertainment Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 6:29pm by cakertainment

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I have been in business for close to 4 years. I am a licensed home baker and I have been very successful :-) My problem is I am a type 2 diabetic (found out 2 years ago) and I am asking what other diabetic bakers do to keep their hands away from cake scraps?? I do not over eat since I am very strict but I won't lie and say I never eat any cake or try icing. It is so tempting and I do not want to ever have to close my business but at times I feel it is better so I am not always around sugary sweets. Just frustrating so any advice is extremely helpful. Thanks so much :-)

2 replies
goodvibrations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goodvibrations Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 11:11am
post #2 of 3

I'm a Type 1 diabetic and wear an insulin pump. So when I "sample" cake scraps I can easily just pump a few units of insulin. Can your doctor prescribe insulin for those times? Are you testing your sugar when you snack? I try not to get into the scraps but after 35 years of cakes and diabetes I still haven't been able to discipline myselficon_sad.gif

cakertainment Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakertainment Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 6:29pm
post #3 of 3

I take medication and my numbers aren't too bad (A1C 6.4) but it is tempting. I am going to just immediately throw scraps away. Someone made a good point....would they eat scraps in a commercial kitchen? Not usually or they shouldn't so why should I in my home when it is for a customer. So that gave me a whole new outlook. Oh and I want to mention I do not dip my fingers in icing or sit around and eat tons of cake. There is just times I crave sweets and of course it may happen when I am baking lol ;-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%