Help! Smashed Wedding Cake- Need Top Tier Fixed!

Decorating By StarBerry Updated 31 Oct 2012 , 11:12pm by DeliciousDesserts

StarBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarBerry Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 6

Any ideas on how to fix this cake? I'm not sure what happened, I did not make this cake. The Bride & Groom want to save the top tier, and an old boss called and asked me to help. 

I've done BC pleats with piping but this does not look piped to me... should I just scrape away the extra BC to get the scalloped effect? The good thing is I can use the BC from the bottom tier to fix the top.

Any help/ advice/ tips/ suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated! 

The cake is currently in a walk-in cooler in a restaurant (they catered the wedding). Do I need to let it come up to room temp before I start working with it? Need to have it fixed by tomorrow. 

5 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 6

This is not piped.  She used a comb to get that effect.  

My advice is to just smooth it.  By the time they wrap it, wrap it, & wrap it, it won't look the same as the day of the wedding.  I would just fix it so it's smooth.

StarBerry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StarBerry Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 6

A comb! Thank you so much for your fast answer! I usually cover all my cakes with fondant so this is a bit out of my comfort zone. I know you're right about the plastic wrap smashing the ridges anyway but I think I might try to find a comb and make the effort... just because it's for a fancy restaurant and I would love for them to hire me for a future cake! :) 

Do I need to take this out of the cooler and let it warm up or will I be able to work with it cold? Just wondering how much time I need to budget. 

Thank you!!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 6

I don't think it was a comb as a comb wouldn't be curved like that (that I have seen).  I think it's just done with a small spatula.  Yes, you need to let the icing come to room temp before you play with it unless maybe it's all crisco.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 6

That's just done with a spatula...I'd cut the top part that's damaged off, then re-ice the top.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 6

There may be other techniques, but there is a comb.  The comb makes a much cleaner look than doing it with a spatula.

I own the comb & have used it for this technique.  I don' remember the name of it...& there isn't a name on it.  It is NOT by Wilton.  I purchased it from GSA.  When you search for it...look for the sideways version of this.  Instead of combing around the side, you use the comb starting a he top & pulling to the bottom.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%