My First Complaint

Decorating By JoelleMonique Updated 5 Dec 2012 , 1:53pm by Ducky316

JoelleMonique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoelleMonique Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 9:42am
post #1 of 6

A

I received this email from a customer this morning icon_sad.gif

Morning Joelle,

Thank you for the cake. It was decorated exquisitely!!!

Unfortunately however I was very disappointed with the cake itself. My expectation was to have the same soft and light sponge cake as we enjoyed at my 40th.

This cake was dense and heavy. Most kids simply poked at it and threw their slice in the bin. I did not even want to offer it to the adults collecting their kids.

Unfortunately the party is over. But please let me know what you suggest we do about the fact that the cake was not as it should have been.

Kind regards,

I'm going there later to see and taste.  Do I offer a full refund? What if there's nothing wrong with the cake? What if there is something wrong with the cake.  I feel awful!

5 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 6

Did she order another cake from you for her 40th birthday?  I'm just curious about what she thought she was getting versus what she actually got...

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 6

If there is still plenty of cake left I would give the customer a full refund.

venuscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
venuscakes Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 6

it is a tough one. If there is a substantial amount of cake left AND you feel the customer has a valid point about the quality of the sponge then you probably have to bite the bullet and give a full refund. Most of us who have been making cakes for a number of years will genuinely know if something is not right so if you honestly feel this cake is fine then I would be inclined to suggest a good will part refund less your costs.

Amanda xx

JoelleMonique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoelleMonique Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 7:41am
post #5 of 6

Thanks everyone.  This is the second time this lady orders from me the first cake was for her 40th a bout 2 years ago and this was for her daughters 14th.  It was a two tiered cake and the top tier and half of the bottom tier were eaten.  I did go and see and taste it, the cake tasted really nice and she said so her self when I tasted the cake.  The middle of the cake was very dense something did go wrong with the baking.  I am refunding her some of the money but not all of it.  She is happy with that arrangement.  I must have my oven checked as this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 5 Dec 2012 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelleMonique 

Thanks everyone.  This is the second time this lady orders from me the first cake was for her 40th a bout 2 years ago and this was for her daughters 14th.  It was a two tiered cake and the top tier and half of the bottom tier were eaten.  I did go and see and taste it, the cake tasted really nice and she said so her self when I tasted the cake.  The middle of the cake was very dense something did go wrong with the baking.  I am refunding her some of the money but not all of it.  She is happy with that arrangement.  I must have my oven checked as this is the first time anything like this has happened.

Sounds like you handled the situation nicely!!! Good job!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%