Tips On Tiered Cakes

Decorating By PurpleGiraffe Updated 31 Oct 2012 , 1:14pm by PurpleGiraffe

PurpleGiraffe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleGiraffe Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 9:50am
post #1 of 4

Hi all,

I've been baking cupcakes for a few years now, but this week I'm going to be delving into the world of tiered cakes for the first time! It's going to be for my sister's birthday, nothing too ambitious, just two tiers covered and decorated with fondant.
I was just wondering if anybody had any tips for my first attempt? Even the most obvious tips will help as I really have absolutely no knowledge on it! It won't be the end of the world if it goes horribly wrong as it's not for a party or anything, but I would like to give it a good go and at least learn some useful things from it.

I'm going to try and make my through some tutorials and posts on here for any tips I can find too, but anything in particular you think I should know would be great!

Thanks

3 replies
Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 10:07am
post #2 of 4

Inspired by Michelle designs on you tube has some great ideas. Part one is how to make ganache and part 2 is how to ganache a cake (and get straight sides) and part 3 is how to cover a cake in fondant. And on her website she has a time-line of what to do each day leading up to delivery of the cake.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 4

If you are stacking a cake, the most important part is going to be support - nothing else matters if your cake falls over and splits apart. The best place to study cake support is here:
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

PurpleGiraffe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleGiraffe Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the info! I'm going to be starting on it tonight so I think I'll watch the videos during my lunch break today :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%