Cupcake Bouquet Disaster :(

Baking By chris2110 Updated 30 Oct 2012 , 12:37pm by tracyaem

chris2110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris2110 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 7

Can anyone help me out with this?

I made red velvet cupcakes from scratch, frosted them...etc.

As I was putting my cupcake bouquet together the cupcakes that were on the side of the styrofoam started to separate from the cupcake liners and fell off!!!

Is this because the cake was not dense enough?? Too much frosting making it top heavy? I use 2 toothpicks per cupcake.

I really am at my wits end about this. I had to cancel the order for a friend and it was very upsetting to say the least. Please....if anyone has had this experience and can help me out I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!!!

6 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure what when wrong, but could you have done a central dowel thru the middle of them to help?

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 7

You could try using the souffle cup method - I love it for cupcake bouquets. No sticks through the cupcakes and they never fall over icon_smile.gif

SweetTzippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTzippy Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 11:47pm
post #4 of 7

That happened to me once when I used recently baked cupcakes (after they had cooled). The next time I left them in the fridge overnight and the following morning I could assemble the bouquet without any problems!

PurpleGiraffe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurpleGiraffe Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 10:19am
post #5 of 7

I definitely recommend the plastic cup method, I find it much more sturdy than toothpicks, especially when you have nice moist cakes.

chris2110 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chris2110 Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 11:03am
post #6 of 7

thank you all for the tips. Tracyaem, what is the souffle method?

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 12:37pm
post #7 of 7

You get 2 ounce souffle cups and staple them together in a circle pattern (to match the size of the opening of whatever pot you're using). Then just place it on top and fill with cupcakes. The cups will hold the cupcakes, the weight of the cupcakes will hold the souffle cup circle in place, and it will all be very stable. Unless you're pot is really light you don't even need to put anything in the bottom as a weight. And you can use green tissue paper as "leaves" sticking out between the spaces in the cups.

Hopefully that made sense. When I first started doing them, I googled and found a bunch of tutorials/blogs showing step-by-step instructions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%