Please Please Pretty Please Help Me Figure Out This Frosting

Baking By ak165 Updated 30 Oct 2012 , 5:33pm by Godot

ak165 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ak165 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:52am
post #1 of 16

[img][img]I have been trying to figure out this recipe forever! its a supermarket birthday cake made by dutch bakery in MA. The ingrediants are shortening, fondant (cane syrup, corn syrup), egg whites to stabalize it in the summer to stop the cake from melting (I emailed them and asked).
It looks just like the image attahced.
It is not buttercream and has no butter taste, it is not the frosting where you whip egg whites over a double broiler because it is not soft and tastes nothing like a marshmallow.
It also has a decorative flower that is hard but melts in your mouth.
The cake itself is also good. Its very moist but stale when fresh out of the fridge
What could it be? I've been trying with no success for the past year!
LL

15 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 2:01am
post #2 of 16

As a matter of fact YES that is a buttercream.

Joseph Amendola bakers buttercream

1 lb shortening creamed with

3 lb fondant

egg white to adjust consistency.

ak165 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 2:15am
post #3 of 16

what kind of fondant? how do I make it? I've seen recipes for pourable and those that you can knead.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 10:29am
post #4 of 16

You need a poured fondant icing. If you do a Google search for "poured fondant icing recipe" you will get a ton of results.

ak165 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

You need a poured fondant icing. If you do a Google search for "poured fondant icing recipe" you will get a ton of results.

Do I immediately add the shortening or wait a day and then whip it in?
Any idea on how to make the hard rose?

AnnieCahill Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 16

You should use the fondant at room temperature. If it's too hot it will melt the shortening. For the "hard" rose, could you give more detail? Could it be royal icing?

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 16

Well, it sure sounds like some kind of icing/frosting, but absolutely NOT buttercream, since it doesn't contain any butter.

I wonder if they use prepared pouring fondant or fondant powder? Hmmm. Not curious enough to actually try non-butter icing, but I wonder. I'll bet they use a prepared pouring fondant, otherwise it wwould be very dry.

Oops - I think I was musing aloud.....

anavillatoro1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anavillatoro1 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 16

Fondant? really?

Godot Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 9:00pm
post #9 of 16

Yes, fondant, really.

POURED fondant, not ROLLED fondant. Huge difference.

BakingIrene Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 9:18pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by anavillatoro1

Fondant? really?

YES the kind that is cooked from sugar and water and glucose, and finely crystallized. Final composition 90% sugars and 10%^ water.

The sugar crystals are very fine in this stock item found in many bakeries. This cooked fondant is packed in 50lb pails for commercial use. It is warmed and poured over buns, doughnuts, petits fours and eclairs.

You can use powdered sugar, glucose and water: about 2.4 pounds powdered sugar, 0.3 pounds each glucose and water. Mix well--no need to cook. This will be stiff. Cream into 1lb white shortening.

The "hard" icing flowers are probably air-dried buttercream made with the shortening and fondant and NO egg white.

40 years ago this was SOP for many commercial bakeries across North America.

ak165 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 16

[quote="BakingIrene"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by anavillatoro1

Fondant? really?

YES the kind that is cooked from sugar and water and glucose, and finely crystallized. Final composition 90% sugars and 10%^ water.

The sugar crystals are very fine in this stock item found in many bakeries. This cooked fondant is packed in 50lb pails for commercial use. It is warmed and poured over buns, doughnuts, petits fours and eclairs.

You can use powdered sugar, glucose and water: about 2.4 pounds powdered sugar, 0.3 pounds each glucose and water. Mix well--no need to cook. This will be stiff. Cream into 1lb white shortening.

The "hard" icing flowers are probably air-dried buttercream made with the shortening and fondant and NO egg white.

40 years ago this was SOP for many commercial bakeries across North America.[/quote[img]][/img]

I thought the cane syrup was made from granulated sugar and water? I found the bakers manual by amendola and the decoraters buttercream is made from shortening and sugar and some water. I've attached a pic, I didnt see any recipe mixing fondant.
The rose seems like dried up royal frosting but i'm not sure[img][/img]
LL

AnnieCahill Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 12:26am
post #12 of 16

ak,

If you don't think it's poured fondant mixed with shortening, do you think it's possible they are using some kind of mix that they finish in the bakery? I know a lot of bakeries purchase their icing that they whip in the bakery.

If you are going to go the poured fondant route, I know there is a recipe in the Amy's Bread cookbook which uses poured fondant whipped with butter and confectioner's sugar to make the buttercream, just in case you wanted a richer flavor. I think Irene gave you good info with the Amendola recipe, and I would actually start there to replicate that taste.

Also, I think it's a good possibility that the hard roses are royal icing or the decorator's buttercream roses which have been dried. Royal icing is basically egg whites and confectioner's sugar so that makes sense based on your ingredient list.

As an aside, there is other fondant besides the stuff you roll out and put onto cakes. There is poured fondant, and you may also sometimes see references to fondant cream which is generally used in a confectionery capacity (to fill chocolates and such). Just putting that out there as a general FYI for people who don't know.

AnnieCahill Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 12:40am
post #13 of 16

ak,

Here is an easy poured fondant recipe:

http://www.joepastry.com/2008/making_ze_poured_fondant/

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 2:44am
post #14 of 16

It's what's in the middle of a Cadbury egg...or a variation of.

BakingIrene Posted 29 Oct 2012 , 3:32am
post #15 of 16

Cooked fondant is prepared from cane sugar, water, glucose

Quick fondant is prepared from powdered sugar, water, glucose or corn syrup

I have made these both as well as the icing using fondant creamed into fat.

Sorry that people who sit and read things online seem to know better than those of us who used a 1972 bakery reference manual to bake goods.

Godot Posted 30 Oct 2012 , 5:33pm
post #16 of 16

I guess I should check out E-bay for cookbooks from 1972 so I can also be an expert.

Cooked fondant can, of course, be poured if it's the right consistency

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%