Is There Cake After Mastectomy?

Decorating By marthajo1 Updated 28 Oct 2012 , 10:19pm by DeliciousDesserts

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 11:39pm
post #1 of 14

I just did my first wedding cake since my breast cancer diagnosis. I am worn out! And it was two small cakes. But planning the cakes the last few days got me thinking about the future and how it will affect my ability to work with fondant. I was diagnosed while pregnant with baby #5 and I have only 2 more chemo sessions and then surgery. I haven't decided yet between a breast conservation or a partial radical mast.

Looking for any current cakers who have had breast cancer and a more severe tissue removal than a lumpectomy. Although I am also curious how the lymph node removal might affect it too.

Please feel free to private message me if you don't want to post here. Thank you.

Also I have a caringbridge journal I have been keeping so you can see that I am real and not some sicko crazy person. And some of you might remember me from when I was active on here awhile back.

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/marthahaley
Thanks

13 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 12:43am
post #2 of 14

Wow, all I can say is, cake would be the LAST thing I would be thinking about if I were you. You have to put you first! I really wish you all the best, and don't worry-your mixer will still be waiting for you after you beat this.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 12:54am
post #3 of 14

You are in my prayers. Get well soon!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 1:32am
post #4 of 14

You don't need to make any decisions now. Just do what makes you feel better, and look toward the time when you will be better. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 2:15am
post #5 of 14

It will probably take a long time after your surgery - no matter which kind you choose - to get your strength back. I say this as a person who hasn't gone through nearly the stress of breast cancer, but has only had several surgeries (a hysterectomy was the most major). You WILL get back up to speed, but don't rush yourself. Rest as much as you can, write in your journal, enjoy your family - do whatever makes you feel better. You'll be in my thoughts in the coming weeks and months. I wish you the best.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 8:39am
post #6 of 14

As a female who has gone through Chemo (for other reasons) and albeit 11 years ago now... i remember being told by my doctors that add no added stress or worry to your life Blue whilst travelling this path.... plus, remember, what you want to do and what you will be able to do in a day will vary considerably.....

I put my inner health first and asked the rest of my life to take a back seat whilst coming to terms whith what i was going through.... yes, the floors still got washed and vacced - the windows still got cleaned and the ironing and gardening still got done... but i soon realised what drained me and what didn't.

Listen to your body - its the best piece of advise you can get... icon_smile.gif

Know your limits and boundries... and don't give to others what you can't cannot afford - (as in time and effort)

I truely believe that by listening to my body and obeying what it asked of me during my Chemo - see's me in such good health today....

I wish you a smooth path to walk - and the love of your family to help you through ........ and in years to come, remember, what you did and how you fought the brave fight. For not everyone is as lucky as us...

Bluehue xx

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 14

Insist on the best physiotherapy after your surgery etc is over. It makes a world of difference. Don't assume that you have to give anything up now--just work on getting better one day at a time.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 3:29pm
post #8 of 14

One day and one decision at a time. Don't add to your stress. Take it slow and like others said don't give what you haven't got.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers now and in the coming months.

I wish you great health, happiness and peace in the coming days.

Take Care
MsGF

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 14

God bless you. I have two more months of chemo for colon cancer and I have no strength for a cake. Even cuppies is an almost insurmountable chore. One day up and one day down.
I understand your concern after surgery. I am meeting more and more people with long time recovery from all sorts of cancers who are all the way back to normal. I'm sure you will be too.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 4:01pm
post #10 of 14

It is been over 10 years. I was 28 years old when hey found cancer on an ultrasound. It was tiny...the size of the head of a pin. I was very radical! I opted for radical double masectomy with reconstruction. There isn't a day I wish I'd made any other decision.

I know its seems....radical. It is. I wasn't playing around. There is a large history of breast cancer in my family. I wanted to live & I didn't want to have to do this battle more than once.

I was lucky. I caught it very early & have never (knock on wood) had any relapse.

I encourage you to make the best decision for you and your family. Only you know what is best for you & your body. I will say it wasn't easy. A lot of my self worth was tied into my big ole boobies. It hurt emotionally to let them go. No one can really understand your pain. Few can understand the pain of deciding & then of loosing a breast.

You will discover just how strong you really are. You will earn the title of Survivor & it won't be easy. This too shall pass & you will be all the better from it.

By the way...cancer really sucks!

Please know that I am here if EVER you need someone to listen or care. PM me & I'll send you my phone number.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 4:14pm
post #11 of 14

BC survivor here. Listen to the advice of taking it easy, and letting your body tell you when it's ready for certain activities.

My path was easy by comparison to what you are going through. I just had a lumpectomy, one lymph node removal and radiation. But even that took the starch out of me for many months. Also if you are estrogen positive, you will be taking meds to reduce the chance of reoccurance; that can be hard on a young woman. All in all, may take a year or two before you really feel up to snuff, but it will happen. I am now a 5 year survivor and my oncologist has offically released me, and the whole nightmare seems like ancient history.

Get in touch with Casting for Recovery. There are three areas in California. If you get lucky, you will be selected for one of their free weekend retreats. That was wonderful and really helped get my brain in the right place- plus it was alot of fun and who doesn't enjoy being treated like a queen. http://castingforrecovery.org/wordpress/home/

Actually, any BC survivor should check out Casting for Recovery. One year or 25 years after BC it is definitely worth investigating.

marthajo1 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 10:05pm
post #12 of 14

Thank you all. I am definitely not talking emotion ability to do cake or even energy. I know those will come and go and stuff. I am talking about physically..... will I physically be able to knead and roll fondant without risk of lymphedema. And I don't mean right away obviously....

But cake is therapeutic for me and the thought of not being able to do it is like one more big thing of loss. I hate that this beast has already taken so much from me.... the joy of the end of my pregnancy, nursing my son, my hair.... and still coming- part or all of my breast and to think about losing something I enjoy so much is really hard.... really really.

I just wanted to find out if any of you who may be breast cancer warriors of the past are back at fondant or if you have trouble with not enough arm strength or with swelling.

Thank you to everyone who shared their experience! I feel like I have lost so much strength that even the little fondant work (6 & 8 " squares and a 7" & 10" round) I did on Sat was so tiring. Yet it felt soooo good to get back to cake. However I still haven't cleaned the kitchen- that will wait till my good day (Tuesday!) LOL

marthajo1 Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 10:17pm
post #13 of 14

Just reread what I wrote! LOL. when I said the part about enjoying it I meant making cakes not my breasts lol

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

I just wanted to find out if any of you who may be breast cancer warriors of the past are back at fondant or if you have trouble with not enough arm strength or with swelling.

YES! They used my latissimus muscle for reconstruction. That is a muscle from my back. I still have no trouble with fondant. Well....I mean I can still roll it without too much trouble.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%