Whipped Cream - How To Make A Whipped Cream Icing For Vegan

Decorating By shikhamj Updated 27 Oct 2012 , 8:44pm by cathyscakes

shikhamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shikhamj Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hello Friends,

Pls can you help me, I am trying to find out how to make whipcream icing. I have to make a vegan cake and ice it with whipped cream. I tried making a whipped cream using Big Y's heavy cream but all in vain.. It did not fluff , infact it started to leave water icon_sad.gif...
Please can some one help me with this, the birthday party is this sunday n im still struggling with the cream. which cream should i use and how should i store it, so that when i put on the cake it doesnt melt on me...

Thank you so much for taking time and answering my worry ..

5 replies
littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

You poor thing, it must have been pain in the butt to make that cake. I thought vegans dont eat animals or products produced from animals like: cheese, eggs, milk etc. I would go for a non-dairy whipped topping like dream whip, make sure you check the labels to make sure it vegan friendly.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 6

Use premade nondairy topping (cool whip etc). DreamWhip requires milk so it might not be truly vegan.

"Heavy" cream from Big Y might not have enough butterfat to whip. It has to say "whipping cream" on the carton.

You can make a good whipped frosting using canned Thai-style coconut milk in place of milk in the cooked icing recipe. You can use vegan margarine in place of butter http://cakecentral.com/recipe/best-fluffy-simple-frosting-ever

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 6

Here is how to make vegan whipped cream with coconut milk and sugar:
http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-chic-table/how-to-make-the-easiest-delicious-recipe-vegan-whipped-cream.html

It's a pain to decorate with so I recommend using vegan buttercream (based on shortening and soy-based margarine) instead.

Dream Whip and Cool Whip both contain casein (dairy) and are not vegan.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with jason. Making vegan whipped cream with coconut milk is a pain and I don't think it is good for decorating with. Also it has to stay refrigerated.

Vegans don't use whipping cream because it comes from an animal.

Make the icing suggested by Baking Irene. It is easier to work with and tastes like whipped cream icing. Use the coconut milk and vegan margarine.

Good Luck

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 6

I was going to recomment pastry pride, but it too contains less than 2% casein a dairy product. I always thought it was non-dairy, but it does contain a small amount.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%