Friday Night Cake Club 10/26/12

Decorating By catlharper Updated 28 Oct 2012 , 6:20am by catlharper

catlharper Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 1:20am
post #1 of 9

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Who is up? What are you working on?

8 replies
catlharper Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 1:29am
post #2 of 9

Hi everyone! I mentioned last week that I was headed over to the Bay Area to celebrate my 50th and it was all a surprise to me. I promised details! I ended up getting to go shopping with the younger daughter then taken out to dinner at Black Angus for steak and lobster<G> followed up by going to see Taken 2 with just my husband. Then Sunday morning I was treated to a full breakfast and then Benihana's for lunch with 16 other family members! Topped it off with a trip to Kate Spade with my husband to get me a new wallet/clutch. When we got back to my younger daughters all the kids were there to celebrate with a bundt cake by a vendor we have used several times for parties we have planned over the past 3 years but never bought for ourselves. All in all really really wonderful.

This week is all about our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We have everything ready for the party tomorrow night and today I finished the cake. I'm hoping for better photos of it on-site but I did post one in my gallery here:

I'm very happy with it. There are only 28 people coming so I couldn't go crazy with the size of either case. The valise is 10x6x3 and the train case is 6x3. So just enough to feed everyone with seconds for a few (hey, I know my brothers, they will eat more than one piece<G>icon_wink.gif. I'll be posting photos of the party on my party blog on Facebook and will come back to post the photos including, I hope, a better one of the cake.

Then we are running off for a few days alone while my Mom takes care of Jack here. Next week is just Halloween cupcakes with the weekend off. So almost a vacation week!

catlharper Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 5:07am
post #3 of 9

Wow! Everyone must be out at Halloween Parties! LOL! Speaking of that...what are the H'ween treats you are making this year? I recently made a coconut cake using flavoring extract I got in Hawaii and it was like opening the floodgates for my son. Now he realizes how many flavorings are out there! So I'm making lemon cupcakes with orange buttercream topped with candy pumpkins for his class and our local Seniors.

At 11 he's at that odd break between wanting to dress up and wanting to go to parties so we won't be doing any trick or treating so pretty much just hanging out and handing out candy to whatever kids might show up.

What is everyone else doing?

debidehm Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 7:12am
post #4 of 9

I was busy baking cakes! This weekend is my great-nephews 5th birthday, and I'll be decorating his cake tomorrow. Right now he's all about Spiderman! Flavor of cake he wanted? Spiderman flavor (whatever THAT is!!). I'll be doing a Spiderman bust cake that I've seen done on C.C. My only worry is trying to cover the dummy head with fondant and being able to get it to where it isn't puckered around the neck! Also undecided about either doing the web (in fondant) using my clay extruder, or actually piping the web using buttercream. I'm just worried if I do it by hand the lines will get "wiggly". Here's hoping his cake comes out looking good for him!

Chellescakes Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 8:07am
post #5 of 9

Hi Cat, sounds like you really celebrated well . Congratulations to you and Hubby for your 25th.

I was up till after midnight last night baking a dolly varden cake , I had a slight disaster and although it had tested done the cake exploded and was complete raw in the centre and oozed out everywhere when I turned it out.
It serves me right I decided to cheat and use a box mix , so I guess it was the universe telling me that I am a scratch baker and should just stick with what I know.
So I had to make and rebake at a quarter to 10 last night.
I baked my white chocolate and rose mudcake perfectly as usual and saved the day with it. it meant I had a later start this morning to make the cake as I had to go and more butter for the buttercream as I used it in the cake.
Betty crocker gets a big thumbs down from me.

This week I am doing a medieval themed cake for a 50th . I also need to get the rest of the cakes baked for my three wedding cakes the week after. My freezer is getting full . I also have two graduation cakes to do for a couple of maths classes . In the shape of calculators no less.

Well happy caking everyone, I will upload the barbie cake when I am not too exhausted to move.

catlharper Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 9

Debi: ROFL..."Spiderman flavor" ...that is priceless! The only advice I can give you on the bust is to take your time smoothing and stretching around the neck. Sounds like a tricky one to me. As for the web...I'm all over the extruder idea but if you decide to pipe just break the web off into 2 inch's easier to pipe straight if you don't have far to go. usually you make me tired...and I'm already tired! LOL! As for boxed mixes...Duncan Hines all the way. I don't use anything else. And it is amendable to doctoring up however you want too. I'm intrigued by your "medival" 50th cake...can't wait to see that one.

I'll post photos tomorrow in my Party Blog of the party today and drop the link here so you guys can see how everything worked out. Hopefully a better photo of the cake too. I'm use to photographing the cakes in the rental kitchen which has great natural light and, because it's mine, I baked at home this week and it's hard to get great cake lighting in the cave I live in<G>. If so then I'll post those as well. I really want you guys to be able to see the detail on the valise, especially, and I just didn't capture it in the photo I took here at home.

Chellescakes Posted 27 Oct 2012 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 9

I don't think we have Duncan Hines here in Oz , Our best brand of mixes is Greens . I like their carrot cake , I love carrot cake but hate grating the carrots etc to make it so I usually use a box for that if I am just making it for us.
I do however have a prize winning recipe that I use for customers.

I think I will just stick to my scratch cakes , as they are usually mud cakes they are so easy to make , no creaming or beating , just melt and mix all done in one saucepan.

Well sitting here playing on the computer is not getting any dragons made so I better get cracking
Happy Icing , Chelle

Chellescakes Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 4:00am
post #8 of 9

I just posted my last two cakes in my gallery if you would like to see them

catlharper Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 6:20am
post #9 of 9

Chelle, the Barbie cake is SO cute! My granddaughter would be SO happy with that one. My favorite is the yellow flower cake..LOVE that one!

I just posted another photo of the luggage I took tonight at the event. SO much better detail on this photo than the original.

Quote by @%username% on %date%