Would You Do This?

Business By Ems81 Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 4:32pm by Junebugsgirl

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 4:53pm
post #31 of 48

I would have said no... if someone wants to order a pie from you, it should be YOUR pie (your recipe)... having someone send you a full recipe with instructions and 'tips' on how to make a good pie would put me off. I would point out that they have all the instructions and tips... they should give it a try themselves. That, or do what others have suggestion and price it rather high. If he says okay, go for it. At least you're getting a decent profit.

Ems81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ems81 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 6:25am
post #32 of 48

I have made the pie, and I have told him CLEARLY that this was the last time. It's an older man living in a retirement village, I just felt bad, especially when a friend of mine mentioned that he was probably alone, and was looking forward to a real American pie (we are in Australia, he immigrated 50 years ago), and then eat it all alone.... by himself...I know...I'm a sucker for sad stories :-) Don't know if that's his real situation, but I decided to do it.

But I don't want to do it again, so I have explained to him that he can order from my 'menu' in the future. I have given him some free Halloween cookies with his order (from my menu). If he wants a pie he can make it himself cause he obviously knows where to find recipes and tips to make a great pie :-)

cakefat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefat Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:24am
post #33 of 48

I think that is great that you did make it for him.

I don't know why so many people were so against doing this... Really, what did it cost you? Nothing really (as he paid you) -except maybe not using your own recipe (so maybe that's an ego/pride thing?) and you made an elderly man happy. He probably doesn't have all the tools to make his own pie (if he lives in a retirement village/home) and he wanted something from his original homeland. When he provided the recipe, he just wanted to ensure that it would be based on a traditional American pie recipe, especially since he's not living in the US anymore.

Deecee64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deecee64 Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 2:55am
post #34 of 48

I think this guy has made quiet a few of his pies, and worst of all I think he likes to see if anyone else dares attempt the masterful bake he thinks he can achieve !

DreamConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamConfections Posted 2 Nov 2012 , 3:28am
post #35 of 48

I think the main problem is: most of us have people wanting our baked goods from word of mouth...he could go tell whoever "Hey, this girl will do whatever you want."  I will say I am shocked that he included tips for making pies.  Does he think you are an idiot?  I will say I am guilty of being too nice sometimes but I am learning after doing this for a little more than a year that I need to stand my ground more.  It makes my life easier and less stressful too.  I mean, we should all try to make our customers happy, but we need to draw the line somewhere.  We all have different limits too.

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 10:54am
post #36 of 48

I would imagine that this gentleman is remembering a taste of long ago, maybe an apple pie that grandma use to make. We do things like that when we are older, "remember when" sort of thing. My take on this, he being a transplant American, living in Australia, just wanted a pie that reminded him of home and thus felt he needed to "school" you on an American Recipe. I think you are a terrific person for doing this for him.

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 2:54pm
post #37 of 48

Originally Posted by BakingIrene

My response would be along the lines of "dear sir the person who made that last pie was fired. I have taken over her business, and NO I do not bake pies."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ems81 

HAHAHA.... this cracks me up!!! thumbs_up.gif

This also cracks me up! it really made me LOL out loud, sorry I don't know how to add more than one quote since the new change around :S

Edit: Actually I just found out icon_redface.gif now I feel utterly stupid.

ladun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladun Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 4:27pm
post #38 of 48

AHe feels he should be involved, so why not take a little time and make holes in his recipe, making sure you get him all confused with baking terms, then he'll believe you know your salt( you never can tell he might still make a good customer, once you earn his respect).

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 5:49pm
post #39 of 48

I would bake the pie (and maybe even for free) for an elderly person who asked simply, saying he was nostalgic for home cooking.

I have a major problem with the long list of instructions--this can come across as offensive to those of us who bake a lot.  Just because a business sells cakes, there is no reason to assume that the baker doesn't know how to bake a good pie.

And FYI I NEVER prebake the bottom of a fruit pie and it's never soggy.  The trick is to use a glass pie plate and to bake at 400F for the first 10 minutes, to get the bottom cooked.  I use instant tapioca to thicken fresh and frozen fruit fillings.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 6:22pm
post #40 of 48

Irene,

If you were gifting pies, how would you bake them using the disposable aluminum tins?  Sorry to get off-topic, but I thought about doing pies this year as gifts and I was going to use the foil pie tins.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 7:40pm
post #41 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Irene,

If you were gifting pies, how would you bake them using the disposable aluminum tins?  Sorry to get off-topic, but I thought about doing pies this year as gifts and I was going to use the foil pie tins.

Annie, Irene had a great suggestion about bake time and temp. That extra heat will help bake the crust. Also, place pie pan on bottom rack.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 6 Nov 2012 , 7:47pm
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

Dude needs to get a wife...

HaHa! This was my initial thought as well. But maybe he HAD a wife and he gave her too many pie making tips and she had enough of that and divorced him.

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 12:17am
post #43 of 48

Thanks for the help, Mimi!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 2:59am
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill 

Irene,

When I had to bake lots of pies for events, I used the foil pans without any problems.  Yes the higher temperature for the first 10 minutes takes care of the bottom.  But please consider putting the baked pies onto cake circles for support when you are transporting them.  

Ems81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ems81 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:07am
post #45 of 48

I also used an aluminium disposable tin, and for the first 20 minutes I baked it at the bottom of the oven, for the last 20 minutes I moved it up, and it turned out great. Just like with the pumpkin pie, I also made a pie for myself :-)

cakegal1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal1976 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:53pm
post #46 of 48

OMG  His letter is so FUNNY!!  I needed a good laugh today and he certainly gave me one.  IF you agree to do this.  I would definitely charge accordingly.  Personally I would tell him that because your name goes with anything you bake that you prefer to use your own recipes!!!  Good Luck!

AnnieCahill Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 4:17pm
post #47 of 48

Thank you Irene and Ems!  I appreciate the advice!

Junebugsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Junebugsgirl Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 4:32pm
post #48 of 48

Ems - I am glad you made the pie.  If this gentleman were my grandfather, I would hope that somebody would do something like that for him. Good karma and all thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%