Advertising - What Works For You!

Business By KAMI_Cakes Updated 26 Oct 2012 , 1:28am by underthesun

KAMI_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KAMI_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 2

Hello Fellow Cakers!

I recently just opened up my cake shop this past June. So far, we have done limited advertising because we pretty much built a kitchen from scratch. Four months in, we have very little capital to devote to advertising expenses. So before we invest more into advertising, I just wanted to know what's worked for you guys.

Our main thing now is word of mouth. We have Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest and update frequently. Has anyone had experience with Facebook Ads? Is it worth it?
We recently just listed our business on The Knot and Weddingwire and booked our first bridal show for next weekend.

So what works for you? Email marketing? Direct Mail? Print ad?

Any advice is very much appreciated! I have learned so much just from reading these forums. You all rock!

1 reply
underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 1:28am
post #2 of 2

I think you're on the right track. I've never tried the facebook ads, mainly because, I myself do not look at them. I find If I post photos on face book, one at a time, but 3 a day spread out, I will suddenly have 5 new "likes". Doesn't work every time, but I've had a lot of success.

Wedding Shows have been a huge success. I will say, our samples are far better tasting than the other bakeries and this has been a huge boost to our sales! Be sure to send out feelers (friends) who will be honest regarding the comparison. Improve your recipes if needed. In our situation, I'm sorry, but there was no comparison and this is exactly what we heard, not only from brides but from other vendors. Our Wedding Cake business tripled after our first wedding show.

Biggest lesson learned...Take a tray of samples around to the other vendors (photographers, florists and caterers), first thing, before the crowd starts. They all love the free samples, but are sugared out toward the end. We have received many brides from vendors who love our cupcakes.

We always deliver cupcakes to vendors around town. Make sure you ask for business cards at every wedding. The next week, visit the vendors you met, carrying goodies! Once you start a personal relationship, you will get their recommendations.

Venues appreciate bakeries that are easy to work with. I've arrived at hotels that are scrambling due to rain and outdoor weddings being moved indoors. I simply go have an appetizer and wait for the cake table to be done. I've actually been told they like to work with me because I'm not causing one more issue in a bad situation. My venues have been detrimental to my success.

Find out which photographers are advertisers for your local Bride and Groom Magazine. I always find out the photographer from my brides. If you are working with one of the photo advertisers, make sure this is your best work and give them a call after the wedding. MAKE a relationship. They will definitely be putting their work in Bride and Groom and your cake will be listed and in the collage. Ask your Mother of the Brides to submit the form for Bride and Groom, letting them know they daughters wedding could be featured.

Good Luck icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%