Best Heavy Rolling Pin

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 25 Oct 2012 , 9:06pm by GinaFalopez

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

hi guys, i am looking for a heavy large rolling pin to help with rolling out fondant... any advice?

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5

Depending on your local health codes, but...

The maple jobs with ball bearings are the best. Next best would be the marble jobs, you might be able to add in the ball bearings if you can find a machine shop that has them.

You would have to keep a wood rolling pin separate from any possibility of it being used on cookie dough or other raw food. The maple pins do NOT leave texture if you care for it properly--meaning that you never wash or wet it.

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Depending on your local health codes, but...

The maple jobs with ball bearings are the best. Next best would be the marble jobs, you might be able to add in the ball bearings if you can find a machine shop that has them.

You would have to keep a wood rolling pin separate from any possibility of it being used on cookie dough or other raw food. The maple pins do NOT leave texture if you care for it properly--meaning that you never wash or wet it.

thank you,,, so i should never wash a maple one?
how do you clean it?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 5

After you roll fondant, let the wood dry. Then scrub with a dry scrubber until it is perfectly clean.

You can add the occasional rub with rubbing alcohol of the kind that says 70% isopropanol on the label. Use that on paper towels, and then dry off with more paper towels.

GinaFalopez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaFalopez Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 9:06pm
post #5 of 5

I have a marble pin with ball bearings and it is the best. It's lasted 15 years so far even after a lot of abuse.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%