Are Craft Fair's Beneficial?

Baking By lizabethy Updated 26 Oct 2012 , 3:06am by kakeladi

lizabethy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizabethy Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 4

My sister and I both bake out of our homes. We do small catering and desserts mostly by word of mouth. We've decided to take it a step further though and possibly do a craft fair right before Thanksgiving. It's only a 2 hour craft fair on a Sunday. We're thinking it would be a good way to get our name out there. We talked about selling individual servings of cheesecake and cupcakes, and then selling whole desserts and 6 &12 packs of cucpakes. We though gooey butter cake, carrot cate, and maybe some cookies too.

We're checking in on the number of people that they normaly have attend so we know how many to plan for. Before we do it though, have you had good luck with craft fairs? About how many desserts do you think we need to have ready. Since it's such a short craft fair, should we make less? Do you think we should have more whole desserts or more individual?

Any recommendations that you have about craft fairs would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
Beth

3 replies
ljslight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljslight Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 4

wondering the same things!

Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 4

I did a craft fair about a month ago. I made 2 dozen of 4 diff. kinds of cupcakes. (maple bacon, chocolate, lemon, and pumpkin) I sold them for less than I normally would just to get my name out there. I didn't sell one chocolate! Only sold one pumpkin and one lemon. I however sold out of the bacon. The most common quote I got was "Bacon?!?! Really I gotta try that!!" the booth rental was $60 ( I split it with my mom, she makes scarfs) I took photos of cakes that I've made along with business cards. B/c I am a homebased business everything had to be prepackaged with labels (more $$) I barely made my booth $ back. Still have lots if boxes left. But I got 3 calls for cakes after from people that had tasted my cc wanting to order cakes so I think it was ok I would probably do it again, just because I had fun (it was a 7 hr thing and I had to give a door prize 1 dozen cc) don't know if that helped ( oh it was an inside event but it rained almost all day so the only people there were other vendors!!)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 3:06am
post #4 of 4

My personal experience has been NO they are not.
You might sell some individual pieces like a single cookie, cupcake, cakepops or piece of candy but overall it's really a waste of time and effort. Most people are not looking for food at those events unless they want to consume it right on the spot. If it was closer to Christmas you might sell 1/2 dz containers of fudge, brittles, or even small 'gingerbread' houses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%