Rainbow Cake Not Working, Any Ideas?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 25 Oct 2012 , 5:35pm by Claire138

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 7:56am
post #1 of 7

Hi all,

I have a rainbow cake I need to make for tomorrow & for some reason the mix just keeps merging. I don't know why, but I am really upset. The result looks pretty but it's not how my rainbow cake usually comes out and I can't work out what's going wrong. The method I use is to pour one colour directly on top of the other and then bake, and then have a beautiful rainbow when cutting into the cake. This week I have tried making this cake 3 times in the same method as always but now the colours just merge so it doesn't have that gorgeous look but rather like a marble of different colours. As I said, it looks pretty but not at all what I am going for, any ideas on what may be going on here? please?

6 replies
C4ssandraa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
C4ssandraa Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 8:14am
post #2 of 7

Hmm maybe your putting too much food coloring?
I use this technique a lot and never had a problem with it. I have also made a rainbow cake, Dividing and coloring the cake mix. Then pouring batter in 8-9 inch pans. Stacking layers, one at a time. It takes longer but still comes out nice.

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 9:17am
post #3 of 7

Perhaps your batter is too runny?

Claire138 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 9:39am
post #4 of 7

Hmmm, well the batter being too runny sounds more likely than too much colouring (only bc I can't see how that would make a difference but I could be wrong). I just don't understand how this happened as I have not changed the recipe although as I'm writing this I realize that I changed the brand of flour. Ugh. I'm fed up! I'll have to wait until I get home home from work to try it again. I shall keep you posted. Thanks as always for the willing help.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 11:05am
post #5 of 7

I'd suggest pouring a layer, then putting the pan in the fridge or freezer to solidify it a bit, then use a piping bag (no tip) to put in the next layer, chill again, pipe next layer, and so on.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 1:57pm
post #6 of 7

Batter too soft. Try weighing your flour.

Claire138 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 7

Ok so 4th time lucky. I changed the flour, changed the measuring cup (I remembered that in the past I have used a glass for this cake), changed the baking pan and Bob's your uncle!

So pleased, thanks everyone for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%