Cream Cheese Buttercream Question

Baking By Kristle Updated 25 Oct 2012 , 4:04am by Kristle

Kristle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristle Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 2:19am
post #1 of 5

Hello!
I had a recipe that I have used before for a really good crusting cream cheese buttercream.. It was on cakeartisan.com. However, all of a sudden that site is gone! And I haven't ever written the recipe down. icon_sad.gif I found another that I thought would compare and mixed a batch tonight but the frosting tastes just like regular buttercream, not much cream cheese taste.
The recipe only called for 8 oz of cream cheese, whereas I believe the other recipe I used called for 16 oz. I have the frosting in the refrigerator, I plan on icing the cakes tomorrow.
My question is: Can I add another 8 oz of cream cheese to the mixture I already have or will I need to start completely over to get it the way that I want it?
I'd rather not waste what's already mixed, but if it doesn't taste right, I won't be using it. It's for a red velvet cake so I really want the cream cheese flavor.
Thanks in advance for your help and input! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 3:23am
post #2 of 5

Recipe - Crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream from The Cake Artisan
SERVES 4.5 cups
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 lb cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 lbs sifted confectionersf sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectionerfs sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.
2. This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.
3. If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing (longer for a thinner icing). Then using your spatula or fondant smoothing tool (this works best)and smooth it with a plain, non-patterned Viva paper towel. To do this, take your paper towel and lay it on your icing (after it crusts) and lightly rub over the paper towel with your hand, spatula or fondant smoothing tool to get a smooth surface. If the icing sticks to the paper towel, you didnft let it gcrusth long enough. Stick it in the fridge for 20 minutes or so to let it gcrusth then try again. If you let it dry too long it will get harder to achieve the smooth look.
4. This recipe will ice, fill and decorate an 8 double layer cake with icing left over.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 3:40am
post #3 of 5

Have your c/c room temperture and add to your buttercream it will be great. Also read this link, go down to someone has posted a recipe by carmijok. I have used it many times time and i love it. Please try it. hth

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-745892-0.html

Kristle Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 4:03am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by auzzi

Recipe - Crusting Cream Cheese Buttercream from The Cake Artisan

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!! icon_biggrin.gif

Kristle Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 4:04am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

Have your c/c room temperture and add to your buttercream it will be great. Also read this link, go down to someone has posted a recipe by carmijok. I have used it many times time and i love it. Please try it. hth

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-745892-0.html

Thank you so much!! I figured that if I added it at room temp, it would probably work fine but I just wanted to be sure since I have never had to do it!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%